cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking issue - large/small QTY strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question regarding the use of the large/small QTY picking strategy in SAP WMS:

My customer has a warehouse with one bulk and one picking area. We are using the large/small QTY picking strategy. If an order contains > 1 pallet of the material, it will be picked from the bulk area, otherwise picking from the picking area is used.

Now, I have the following scenario:

My bulk area of Material A is empty;

The picking area (Material A) contains 2 pallets.

An order is placed for two pallets, Material A. When creating the TO, the system wants to fulfill this order with stock from the bulk area. This is correct from a large/small QTY point of view.

However, as there is no stock available at the bulk area, the order cannot be fullfilled. Now, I would expect that the stock from the picking area is used, so that the order can be fullfilled. Unfortunately, SAP does not automatically use this available stock because it is not allowed from a picking strategy point of view.

Of course, I would like to know if there is a solution available for this specific scenario... anyone?

Regards,

Oliver

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If your storage type search sequence is correct, i.e. picking area followed by bulk area then it should work. Please check if you have maintained the control quantity in the material master WM2 view. Without that this strategy will not work.

Thanks

Anandha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've got the same problem here at my customer. Any progress to report on this matter?

Work-around would be to change the quantity to an amount lower than the large/small quantity and split the amount in one or several step so you can pick from picking area. Result would be a transport order with several lines in the picking area.

Any other suggestions on this?

Regards,

Arno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the search Strategy , put '***' in the end. So, in case a search in BULK area fails, system looks all over the Warehouse again and finds it in Picking Area.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Vinod Madhanu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

I already tried that, but the system still won't find a location because it is not allowed to pick this QTY from the picking area due to the large/small QTY strategy.

What I actually would need is that the system "switches" to another picking strategy once it's unable to find stock using the existing large/small QTY strategy. However, I'm afraid that this is not possible using standard SAP..

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is your pick search strategy in the correct order? Picking area should be before bulk area.

Regards,

Hein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hein,

Yes, I have defined picking area first, and the bulk area second.

Regards,

Oliver