cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test not starting up properly - but VA reporting everything as started!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are runnin Netweaver 2004s SP15.

A track was deployed and deployed correctly and everything cotinued working.

However upon restart of the servers, withing 5 minutes - basically jumping from "starting up framework" to "running" without going through a "starting apps" phase - the server considered itself running.

VA reports everything as running.. but nothing is actually running.

If we undeploy the SCs in the track the server starts up correctly; but if we redeploy the SCs; even though they deploy and start conrrect - upon restart of the server nothing starts up properly. (Even though it goes into running state)

The only error log is this:

from the System log

#1.5\x8#0003BADBEC1E000E000000010000712000049D2D9131524F#1298718941860#/System/Server##com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ContainerEventListenerWrapper.run()#######SAPEngine_System_Thread[impl:5]_97##0#0#Error#1#com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ContainerEventListenerWrapper#Plain###java.lang.StackOverflowError occurred while service deploy processed containerStarted() event null#

Which if you search the default trace shows this:

#1.5\x8#0003BADBEC1E000E000000040000712000049D2D9131587B#1298718941861#com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ContainerEventListenerWrapper##com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ContainerEventListenerWrapper.run()#######SAPEngine_System_Thread[impl:5]_97##0#0#Error##Plain###java.lang.StackOverflowError

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeploymentInfo.getStatus(DeploymentInfo.java:117)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.checkChildren(DeployServiceImpl.java:2669)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.checkChildren1(DeployServiceImpl.java:2694)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.checkChildren(DeployServiceImpl.java:2674)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.checkChildren1(DeployServiceImpl.java:2694)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.checkChildren(DeployServiceImpl.java:2674)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.checkChildren(DeployServiceImpl.java:2681)

.... recursively calling for many more lines....

Help! Please.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Probably J2EE is set in SAFE MODE. Use CONFIG TOOL> AFTER IT LOADS COMPLETELY> MENU> SAFE MODE> OFF and restart the J2EE. It should work after that.

Thanks

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are quite obviously not in safe mode. If you had read the symptoms that would be clear. Deploy a bunch of SCs on a track .. problem happens as described above. If you undeploy problem goes away.

I would prefer no help and no answers -- to silly suggestions like this one.

It also works perfectly on dev (and restarts).. and when I do a workspace comparison there are no differences.

Edited by: Ilan Pillemer on Feb 28, 2011 10:42 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well... through an incredible amount of struggling I managed to resolve this problem.

Its real weird and I can only hazard a guess why its happening; as whatever is going wrong is going wrong behind the curtain.

I solved the problem in two different environments.

(1) The test environment which is the same as our production environment

(2) A second test environment which should have been the same as our production environment.

In situation (1) both test and production had been updated to SP15 at some stage.

In situation (2) the test environment was created from scratch at SP15.

Now there are about 8 (give or take) ear files that had been had been created before the update to SP15.

In situation (1) I have to deploy the ear files; and then the server is in a broken state and won't start up properly as described in my initial post.

Then you have to work out which is the first of these 8 (give or take) ear files to start up according to run-time dependency.

You then need to touch all the XML descriptor files in that ear file or deployed via that ear file.

And then restart and everything works perfectly from then on.

This was proven to occur in any server that we had that had been upgraded from a previous SP to SP15.

In situation (2) touching the XML descriptor did not fix anything.

In this case I had to delete and create new ear files for the 8 (give or take) that had been created before the upgrade to SP15.

All ear files that had been created after the upgrade to SP15 had no problems.

I hope this post helps anyone facing this problem who should stumble upon this post.