cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While Recovery log files are not displayed in recovery mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

These days i am performing backup recovery testing for maxdb.

Maxdb 7.7

I am having one doubt please help me out to clear that.

Scenario is like this:

I have taken a complete Data Backup.

After that some data inserted and one log file created .Some transaction's are in log area (Online Logs) not written to the log file(Offline logs).

When i am performing recovery using recovery mode in that mode it is not showing the log files those are required to be restored at the time of recovery.

[recovery_mode|http://www.freeuploadimages.org/images/fdsnjrndfbr9ftfnco9.jpg]

After recovery it is showing me the data as it was their before the recovery.

When i am going with recovery with initialization option in that it is showing the logs those will be restored while performing the recovery.

[recovery_with_initilization|http://www.freeuploadimages.org/images/emupbqyhfunqe9q00yd3.jpg]

After recovery with initialization it had recovered until it found the data in logs.

My doubt is why in recovery mode it is not showing the log file's those are required to be recovered as it is showing in case of recovery with initialization.

In Recovery mode is it not recovering from the offline log files.....?

If yes than from where it is restoring the data inserted in DB after the complete backup.

As per my understanding in recovery mode it will perform recovery in the below steps.(Increment backup's i am not taking)

1.Complete Data Recovery.

2.All the log files will be applied.(Offline logfile)

*3.Log's available in the Log Area will be applied.(Online Log file) *

Regards,

Sahil Garg

Edited by: sahil garg on Feb 26, 2011 9:03 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sahil,

please check the documentation and the expert sessions before trying out this stuff.

The reason for MaxDB not asking for any log backups after you've modified a few records is, that we don't throw away the log data when a log backup is made.

Instead we keep track of which log information is still available for recovery in the log area and use this during recovery, instead of trying to get the data from the log backup.

As soon as the log data is lost (because it's overwritten or the log area was deleted as it is the case for a recovery with initialization) MaxDB of course has to ask for the log backups - and it does so.

But really - go and check the documentation and the expert sessions (maybe also my own blogs on this topic) about this.

regards,

Lars