Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Os=Solaris 10 for intel

Oracle=10.2.0.4.0

SAP ECC 6.

Database size is 100GB

Q.1

I taking backup Full offline +redolog through db13 daily on external disk at night and write it on tape through (ufsdump Solaris 10 command) in morning.I can check this backup through ufsrestore command. Is this practice is good.

Q -2

If i take backup direct to tape (Lto-4), which parameter i need to change in profile and how can i check/read this backup and place a copy of it on external disk also, as in first practice i have 2 copies of same backup

Regards,

Arshad.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What would be the benefit of having 2 copies of backup sets if your backup is configured correctly.

Try to take only tape backup (Perform a test-restoration on other server) daily, No need to keep one copy on harddisk if your tape backup is good and healthy for day (Daily online backup doesn't need validity more than a day).

In fact keeping two copies is a time consuming process and always you will need the same size of DB storage space idle (Dedicted for bkp) on your server.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reponse Nick Loy

Keeping 2 copies is just for safety purpose, Please guide which parameters i need to change for tape instead of disk?

Thanks

mohammed_anish
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are different strategies you can follow for taking backup. Since you are having an oracle database, you should be looking at using RMAN to perform backup and restore to ensure integrity of the database backup. Then take backup to disk or tape.

Parameters to be used:

1. Using RMAN to Disk:

backup_dev_type = disk

disk_copy_cmd = rman

rman_channel = 1 (You may change this value, but depending on the number, you must have that many number of target mount points. These must be specified in the parameter backup_root_dir)

rman_filesperset = 0

The advantage of backing up to disk, as i see it is, backup and restore are fast.

2. Using RMAN to backup to tape using SAP backup library. (In this you must have disk drives local to the host being backed up)

backup_dev_type = tape

tape_copy_cmd = rman

rman_channel = 1 (Depends on number of tape drives you have)

rman_filesperset = 0

3. There are other options available, if you have any media manager software like netbackup. In those, you will be able to create jobs, which take backup to disk and then to tape and so on.

See if the following thread helps...

Regards,

Anish

Answers (0)