Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to update VM parameters - com.sap.smdagent.vmmanager.VMManagerExcept

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Anyone come across the error below when setting up the introscope agent:

Failed to update VM parameters - com.sap.smdagent.vmmanager.VMManagerException: A test vm could not be started, the vm parameters seems to be incorrect:-Djco.jarm=1 -XX:MaxPermSize=512M -XX:PermSize=512M -Xms2048M -Xmx2048 -XX:NewSize=320M -XX:MaxNewSize=320M -XX:DisableExplicitGC -verbose:gc -XX:PrintGCDetails -XX:PrintGCTimeStamps -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:UseTLAB -XX:UseParNewGC: -XX:HandlePromotionFailure -Djava.security.policy=./java.policy -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBProxy -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBSingletonProxy -Djavax.rmi.CORBA.PortableRemoteObjectClass=com.sap.engine.system.PortableRemoteObjectProxy -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false -Djava.security.krb5.conf=F:\usr\sap\EPX\SYS\global\kerberos\ID80419\krb5.conf -Dsun.security.krb5.debug=true -XX:+JavaMonitorsInStackTrace -Xbootclasspath/p:F:/usr/sap/DAA/SMDA97/SMDAgent/applications.config/com.sap.smd.agent.application.wily/BytecodeAgent/ISAGENT.8.2.2.0-2010-08-24/wily/connectors/AutoProbeConnector.jar;F:/usr/sap/DAA/SMDA97/SMDAgent/applications.config/com.sap.smd.agent.application.wily/BytecodeAgent/ISAGENT.8.2.2.0-2010-08-24/wily/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=EPX_JC00_server0 -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=F:/usr/sap/DAA/SMDA97/SMDAgent/applications.config/com.sap.smd.agent.application.wily/BytecodeAgent/ISAGENT.8.2.2.0-2010-08-24/wily/IntroscopeAgent.profile

From the notes the only parameter that seems to be know to cause conflicts is -Xloggc:<file>.

Does anyone have a list of known parameters which cause the above problem. We are running on:

Managed system : Java 701

Agent : 720

ISAGENT.8.2.2.0-2010-08-24

Solman 701 sp25

vm parameters on managed system

-Djava.awt.headless=true

-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom

-Djava.security.krb5.conf=F:\usr\sap\EPX\SYS\global\kerberos\ID80419\krb5.conf

-Djava.security.policy=./java.policy

-Djavax.rmi.CORBA.PortableRemoteObjectClass=com.sap.engine.system.PortableRemoteObjectProxy

-Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false

-Djco.jarm=1

-Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBProxy

-Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBSingletonProxy

-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false

-Dsun.security.krb5.debug=true

-XX:+DisableExplicitGC

-XX:+HandlePromotionFailure

-XX:+JavaMonitorsInStackTrace

-XX:+PrintGCDetails

-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps

-XX:+UseParNewGC:

-XX:+UseTLAB

-XX:MaxNewSize=320M

-XX:MaxPermSize=512M

-XX:NewSize=320M

-XX:PermSize=512M

-XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1

-XX:SurvivorRatio=2

-XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90

-Xms2048M

-Xmx2048

-verbose:gc

Thanks in advance

Jim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

allam_drebes
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Jim,

You can try this:

1 - Open Agent administration UI on Solution manager

2 - Navigate to The "Applications Configuration" tab

3 - Choose on the left the application "com.sap.smd.agent.application.connectors"

4 - Edit the property "vmmanager.test.vm.before.update" and set the value to false. (DO NOT USE SCOPE GLOBAL)

5 - Save the properties.

Afterwards restart the agent, it is need to take the changes into account.

Perform the Introcope Setup again and check if the issue is gone.

Regards,

Allam

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank Allam, that did the trick.

I'm a little concerned we bypassed the vm test but everything seems ok.

I've logged a call with SAP just to get to the root cause of the issue.

Kind Regards

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have the same issue and I also don't like the idea to skip the VM test.

Did you receive a solution and are you willing to share?

BR

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Allam Drebes : Thanks it worked for me too.

former_member223431
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Allam,

I am also facing same issue can you please guide me

and where will i get Agent administration UI on Solution manager i am unable to find it.

Thanks in Advance.

Rajesh.

guilherme_balbinot
Active Participant
0 Kudos

http://<solman>:<port>/smd/AgentAdmin

0 Kudos

Hi Allam,,

I also got the same issue, while configuring Wily agent.

I did the changes as per your solution.(selected scope is where agent is deployed, not global)

I also restarted DAA/SMD agent. But still error remains same for me. please suggest.

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

this may be a little late, but try note 1918621.  I had the same issue - changing the parameter didn't help.  Turns out my sap user on the managed system didn't have Admin privileges.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

vcassana
Discoverer
0 Kudos

se edita el archivo runtime.properties de la ruta /usr/sap/SID/SMDAnn/SMDAgent/configuration

former_member210781
Participant
0 Kudos

Awsome !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Allam, it worked for me.

0 Kudos

Thanks Allam, this worked for me too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please look here for hint

[https://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1727486&tstart=508|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1727486&tstart=508]

and

[http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1815642|http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1815642]

Jansi

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks but my issue is different from the threads you mentioned. I had checked them before.

Kind Regards

Jim

allam_drebes
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Check out the ["Wily Setup Guide"|https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700001995842008E/SAPISDOC02_0.pdf] on page 25 section "Activating the Agent: Set Java VM Parameter".

In the document you will find the list of paramenters that you need to setup.

From the parameters that you showed it seems that the wily parameters are missing.

Regards,

Allam

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Allam

But section 25 is where you are manually configuring the agent. In my scenario I beleive this should all be done automatically.

You can see in my first thread the wizard is trying to add the parameters but failing because of some existing parameter I think.

This is a test case for all the other agents I've to set up so ideally I'd like to get it working with the wizard rather than manually setting it up.

It worked fine for PI 7.11 but this error is appearing in EP 7.0