cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Implementing SAP in AIS Course

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

New member here and first-time SAP instructor. I am a little confused about the procedure for getting started with a course/exercise, like Cottonwood, for example.

I have my server and client information from CSU, Chico and I have my student IDs. I understand the company code for Cottonwood is 80xx, but how do I set the company code as a default in Instructor dataset (can't locate the input screen)? Then how do I push the codes down to the student IDs without individually enterning them? There is something I am missing and I cannot find any discussion of that or procedural guides on the forum.

Please help. Trying to meet a deadline. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Roger Whitaker

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roger,

Are you asking about how to set the company when you enter the journal entries or how to keep the student from using another company code? Let me try to address both.

When you enter the journal entries for Cottonwood, you will use transaction code FB50. In FB50, "Enter GL Document", toward the top of the screen on the second blue bar, you will see "tree on" and then "company code". Click on the "company code" button to change your company code to your own. I suggest using either the first or last of your student ID's to test the system.

In this exercise, students may in fact use other students company codes by mistake, thus the warning in the exercise " Your company code is 80XX (where the XX is your assigned number). Do not use any company code other than the one assigned to you." There is another warning further down in the assignment as well. However, that said, the user ID is linked to the company code and the student would actually have to make an effort to use the wrong company code.

I hope this has answered your questions. If not, please feel free to clarify for me and I will make sure you get the right answer on these assignments.

Nancy

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roger,

Assuming you are on a Chico server, if you are on Warsaw 355, which is an AIS client, you have Cottonwood.

In order to access SU01, you need to be logged in as the instructor. The student user ID's will not have access to this function which allows you to change passwords and unlock students who have locked themselves out of the system.

I have been teaching this course for quite awhile now and would be more than happy to help you with any issues you might have. Also, I know it might be a bit late for what you are trying to do now, but there is an AIS breakout session at the curriculum congress in March, just a couple weeks away. Hope you can attend.

Nancy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nancy,

You were correct. I did have access to Cottonwood. When I attempted to follow Kevin's suggestion I mistakenly put a command slash before the SU01 and SAP did not recognize it. So Kevin's advice was correct also.

I am up and running now and getting ready for classes.

Just a few little headaches:

I have had no success setting up a short-cut on my desktop to log into SAP. I get a message: partner 'riga.cob.cuschico.edusapdp00' not reached WSAEWOULDBLOCK: Resource temporarily unavailable. Do you want to see a detailded error description? Yes/No.

Also, I cannot get the shockwave files to execute but I suspect this is due to a problem my 64-bit Windows 7 has installing Adobe Flash. They don't seem to work well together. Are these the navigation and introductory videos?

Yes, it is to late to schedule a conference but sounds like a great opportunity for next year.

Thank you for your input. It really helped.

Roger Whitaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roger,

The best i can tell, you have a type-o in your path. 'riga.cob.cuschico.edusapdp00' which should point to csuchico rather than cuschico. Give that a try.

The shockwave are the introductory SAP and Excel videos. As you suspect, it is most likely a versioning issues. Let me see what I can figure out on my end and I'll send you an email.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nancy,

Actually, that was just a little carelessness on my part....I mispelled the address in retyping it in. Didn't see an Attach File option here so I just (rather poorly) retyped it. I thought I saw a file attachement option earlier but not now.

Thanks,

Roger Whtiaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, it looks like you received some great feedback quickly!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roger,

What you should have from Chico is the sytem information for the client that you requested. The client is really a data set and that dataset is normally tied to a specific company code so it should already be set up to default to that company code. I am not familar with Cottonwood so I am wondering if you ordered the right client from Chico for the exercises you want to use. Please give me more information about what you are trying to do.

Basically the steps to get started are these:

1. Look through the curriculum in the UA Library under the discipline that you want to teach to find materials that pertain to your class.

2. Given the curriculum materials you have chosen, find the dataset or client to request for that curriculum (this is in the top part of the description for the curriculum materials),. So for example, to use the AIS course materials you are going to request the AIS client on an ERP 6.04 system (also available in the product drop down list at the hosting center when you order clients).

3. Once you order the client you'll be given the system information which you need to add to the SAPGUI if the client is not already there, along with the user IDs for your students. The user IDs are only valid for the system information you got from Chico. (Instructions for how to add a system to the installed SAPGUI are available on the UCCSS hosting site under the download for the SAPGUI under customer tab -- or you can request help from one of the technical staff.)

4. Once you add the system information in the SAPGUI you can then log into the system using a user ID you got from the hosting center. The compnay code is normally a defaulted item in the dataset that you ordered.

5. Now you are ready to do the exercises by following the instructions in the curriculum

Please let me know if you need more help.

Gail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gail,

Wow! Your response has helped clear the fog.

The professor who taught this course previously has left the university. So the department head in IS (I am an adjunct instructor in Accounting) ordered the client and IDs. He did not know which exercise I was planning to use -- the same one as my predecessor. The client I am assigned now is 355 and has no link to Cottonwood.

The exercise I plan to use is authored by Jim Mensching. Here's the link:

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-6756

Seem what I need to do is contact the tech support or help desk at Chico and see if they can replace (or change) my client and IDs.

What do think of this approach?

Thank you so much.

Roger Whitaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roger,

Iu2019m going to take a stab at this and try and help. I could be (probably am) completely wrong as Iu2019m only a student who participates at a UA school, without the knowledge of setting up course users.

To set defaults in SAP, you will need to go to transaction SU01 (enter instructor user ID)  click change  click parameters tab. Here you can enter any of the u201Cdefaultsu201D you would like yourself or the students to have. Example, create Company Code default: Parameter ID= BUK and Parameter Value= 80XX .

Hope you receive more help soon!

Best Regards,

Kevin Coolman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kevin

Tried the command you suggested. Response -- This function is not allowed.

I suspect they (the hosting site) lock down changes that can be made -- either accidentally or intentionally.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Roger