cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating MII with PI System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am new to MII and i have a requirement of integrating MII with OSI PI System. I am not sure where to find the guide or software for PI System and how i can configure with MII . We already have UDS OLEDB can we configure once PI System is installed on MII Sever with this? or we need to have installed PI UDS System. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Raveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You must install MII UDS to the server where the OSI PI running.

make set up of UDS to listen OSI PI. and start UDS.

MII must access OSI PI server over network.

Define UDC data server in MII side to listen UDS running on OSI PI server.

Regards.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cemil,

PCo 2.1 has built in functions that make use of the PI SDK when configuring agents and so when configured in legacy mode, eliminates the requirement for UDS 2.5 or UDS 4.0.

Check the documentation for PCo 2.1 for Tag Query, SQL Query, and Legacy modes for more information. You may also want to look at the documentation for MII 12.2 if it is available. It has a bit more detail on the use of PCo in conjunction with MII.

If you are confused by the documentation, please posta new thread on this board. There are getting to be enough folks who have worked with it now that you can take advantage of their experience.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raveen !

You can contact me if you need any details on OSI PI. We have done number of OSI PI Implementation in Power, Oil&Gas sector at Global locations.

Regards,

Shrikant

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raveen,

You have a number of options.

But probably the best approach would be to use PCo 2.1 and use the legacy check box to build both Tag (time series data) Queries and SQL (OLEDB) Queries. The PCo interface uses the PI SDK and should provide the type of data retrieval you are interested. PCo also provides event notification capability which is can eliminate the necessity of constantly polling for equipment data updates.

You can also use UDS 2.5 for time series, but it uses the decremented(superceded?) PI API interface. And you can use UDS 4.0 for the OLEDB. But both UDS versions have been superceded by PCo.

I think you will need to install PI SDK on the PCo server (possibly also PI OLEDB) for the PCo agents to function properly.

Worst case, you can also do a generic OPC connector, but it will not have the functionality or performance of the PI agents.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Feb 23, 2011 3:59 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Thanks for various options provided, i need to understand where i can get the OSI SOFT PI System as my client wants to find me out about this. Is this something i can find in the service market place or we need to purchase a license for it.

Thanks,

Raveen

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raveen,

OSIsoft is a vendor of historian (PI System) and related software/hardware services. They are one of the largest, if not the largest, vendors in the industry as far as implementation in industry. They are also a partner of SAP and supported the development of PCo (Plant Connectivity/Connector. Never remember which.)

They sell the Historian system which logs data from Production Equipment (SCADA, PLC, DCS, etc.). They also sell vCampus licenses (which provides a simulation engine of an actual historian, but with limited price and capabilities). I have used the vCampus license for doing MII development in conjunction with UDS and PCo.

It is not an SAP product. There is an SAP product named PI (Process Infrasture) which was formerly named XI. But it is not associated with OSIsoft.

I will get in touch with an OSIsoft representative and ask them to respond to this posting.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raveen,

Mike is correct in his description of how to connect. On the PI side, we will need to understand the version of PI your customer is running and if he is licensed for PI-DA, PI-DAP or has the full PI2010 server licensing with PSA. This will tell me what methods and properties you are licensed to use with MII against the PI Server.

1. UDS - used to use the PI API and this is restricted in certain situations to older PI Systems with PI-DA

2. OLEDB is available from PI-DA, PI-DAP and PI-PSA licensing but only access part of the PI information infrastructure. If you use PI OLEDB, you should be using the SAP PCo 2.1 to get the ability to Poll and Event from MII to reduce network traffic for the customer.

2. But remember, PI OLEDB only opens access to the PI System data. If your OSI Customers is using PI-AF, you will need to use the PI-OLEDB Enterprise to read his AF information (only licensed through the new PI2010 and PSA server licensing.

Also, you should note, if you have not connected to OSI PI in the past, that the data access through PCo exposes many methods and properties for getting to the PI informatoin in a single query (such as filtered data, averages, totals, etc..). This helps reduce the amount of network traffic when you ask for a calculation result rather than trying to pull a set of data across the network and then attempt doing the calculations up in MII.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raveen,

Do Carol's remarks answer your questions? If the customer does not currently have or needs to upgrade you may want to contact her directly. I can help with that if you need.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the response, i guess its too early for me to speak find out with the client about this.

Regards,

Raveen.