cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Data Integrator, Data Services, Federator & Data Manage

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the difference between each of the following components of SAP Business Object?

Data Integrator

Date Services

Data Federator

Data Management

Do these not do the data integration (ETL)? Is so, why a Data Integrator is a must for Rapid Mart not any of the other listed above?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Data Services is the new Name for Data Integrator

so both of them are the same except that the Data services has some other software included such as Data Quality based on the license and thats the one Considered ETL tool and very needed for the Rapid Marts

Data Federator its a fedaration tool, used for Virtual Data Warehousing

Data Management , if you mean metaData Management, is a tool used for IT to follow up their meta data management

good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the to-the-point response. It was really helpful. Isn't SAP BusinessObjects Data Federator is also a kind of integrator? The following link mentions "SAP BusinessObjects Data Federator can help you rapidly integrate data in real-time"

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/information-management/data-integration/datafederato...

Or if I put it differently: Data Federator is used when physical integration is not required, and provides the functionality to integrate data virtually in memory.

Please correct me, if I am not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

With Data Integrator, data from datasource are copied in a physical data warehouse. The copy of data is thus really materialized.

With Data Federator, data are not copied and each time you execute a BI query, the datasource are contacted. It is a kind of virtual data warehouse with no materialization of the integrated data.

If you want more info about Federated DB system, you can find some information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_database_system

Jean-Pierre

Answers (0)