Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record flammability in QE51N with burning rate

mihai_kovacs
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello

We have to do a flammability test for some materials and record the outcome in QE51N in the following form:

DNI u2013 Did Not Ignite

NBR u2013 No Burning Rate

SC/NBR u2013 Self-Consuming/No Burning Rate

SE/BR u2013 Self-Extinguishing with burning path 50 mm/Burning Rate: To this qualifier a combustion speed value has to be written that must be less than 100 mm/min.

BR u2013 Burning Rate: To this qualifier a combustion speed value has to be written that must be less than 100 mm/min.

I could create an inspection catalogue with the DNI, NBR, SC/NBR, SE/BR and BR codes with code valuation Accepted or Rejected but this is not covering the requirements.

How can the combustion speed value be recorded in combination with SE/BR and BR and compared to 100 mm/min?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need quantitative result recording for SE/BR & BR.

One option is to record burn rate as long text but then there is no validation on recorded values.

Other options are

1. Add un-planned MIC corresponding to SE/BR or BR if DNI, BNR is not applicable

2. Use conditional characteristics

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

mihai_kovacs
Explorer
0 Kudos

I created three inspection characteristics and put them in the inspection plan one after the other.

The first is called "Burn I - Flammability DNI, NBR, SE/NBR" and is a qualitative one with the catalogue:

DNI - Did Not Ignite

NBR - No Burning Rate

REJ - Reject - second step record Burning Rate

SENB - Self-Extinguishing/No Burning Rate

The second is called "BURN II - Flammability SE/BR" and is a quantitative one with "After rejection" and upper limit 100 mm/min.

The third is called "BURN III - Flammability BR" and is also quantitative one but is "Optional char.".

If BURN I is set to "REJ" than BURN II is activated and burning rate is to be recorded. BURN III is optional because you can record the burning rate at BURN II even if it burns without extinguishing over 100 mm/min but if quality wants to track it very accurately they can use it.

Thanks for the help.

mihai_kovacs
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answers. If have to ponder over your proposed solution.

A conditional qualitative characteristic for the first three and a quantitative on the last two sounds good. When the first characteristic is rejected then do the second.

Reject the first characteristic is correct because it DID Ignite and IT HAS a Burning Rate and that is bad.

I will test it in the near future and come back. At the moment I'm loaded with work.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could set up the first part as a qualitative charac. Set up the burn rate as a quantiative charac that is only done if the qualitative char a is rejected. Set up codes SE/BR and BR as rejected values. This then forces the burn rate characteristic to be done.

Not ideal because the first characteristic would show a rejected valuation when in fact these may not really be rejected in the eyes of your process. Also, having those as rejected would prevent using an auto UD on those lots.

You could just set the first one as a required characteristic and the second one as an optional characteristic. You could then maybe use a the UD check user exit to verify that if code SE/BR or BR was recorded on the first, that the second characteristic had a value. I think I might go with something like that.

FF