cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.2 Language Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was just reading that an instance of ME can only support one language at a time, is this true?

Only support one language per server/install

The web browser, Netweaver, and the database server must be configured to use the same language

We are planning to have regionalized instances of ME with multiple sites in multiple countries (who may or may not speak the same language) using the same installation. Is this possible?

Also, what languages are supported in ME 5.2?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is my current understanding of the language support.

When installing ME 5.2, you have to install as one of the supported languages. This means the browser, certain settings in the server operating system and the database installation are expected to be consistent with this one language. ME assumes the database, server OS and client browser are all using the same language.

This is how ME 5.2 is certified and tested. One language at all 3 layers.

In reality, you can switch to the other supported languages in your browser and most of ME will appear in that language. Certain text (descriptions) may still be displayed in that original installation language. Some reports/lists may be sorted in the collation sequence in use on the database server, not the language from the browser. Most other features in ME will display in the language set by the browser.

The key here is that not all combinations of DB, server OS and browser languages have been tested together. This means some issues may occur if you mix them across all 3 layers. ME is not certified to work with a German database server, Chinese app server and English browser. The number of possible combinations with all 3 layers is unmanageable for our testing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allison,

The language settings should be set in the IE browser Tools->Internet Options->Languages.

Currently for me if the browser has Russian language set (as the first one in the list), all the information is displayed in Russian.

The same should work for other languages mentioned by Alexander.

Thanks

Ivan

0 Kudos

Hello Alli,

Could you please point us to the documentation where you have found this:

"Only support one language per server/install

The web browser, Netweaver, and the database server must be configured to use the same language"

As to the ME language support in ME 5.2; according to the Product Availability Matrix the following languages are supported: Chinese, Chinese trad., English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.

Regards,

Alex.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Its on slide 67 of the "Perfect Plant Workshop" powerpoint presentation by John Fumagalli and Chris Towns. I believe it was given to us by Fumagalli.

0 Kudos

The 5.2.4 installation guide indicates that only a single language per installation is supported (section 4.1 -> 12). This should most definitely not be the case. All certified languages (as per the release) should be suppoted both in the UI and in the database. I will find out more about this and let you know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was my understanding that all supported languages are available in every installation (simultaneously) as well, Troy. I had never heard that (or seen) that only one language would be supported per installation and wanted to confirm that this was an error and not a new "feature" of 5.2.

I'll wait for more details.

Regards,

Alli