cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS migration Solaris 10g to Linux 11g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I need all of your views as we need to start the OS migration of ECC 6.0 box.

source : SAP : ECC 6.0 , DB : Oracle 10.2.0.4 , OS : solaris 10 , DB size : 10 TB

Target : SAP : ECC 6.0 , DB : Oracle 11g , OS : linux

1. As i required to move from 10g to 11g along with migration, am planning to install 11g oracle binaries and database instance on target box with OS as linux and trigger IMIG data transfer for largest tables between source and target system..

2. Next , work with parallel R3load exp/imp for remaining tables using distribution monitor by sharing load on app servers in combination with oracle pl/sql table splitter ..

*Please provide me your inputs about feasibility of installing 11g binaries on target and triggering IMIG data transfer from source 10g, solaris and target 11g, linux*

*Regards,*

*Ahmed.*

Edited by: Ahmed Jaleel on Feb 19, 2011 11:00 PM

Edited by: Ahmed Jaleel on Feb 20, 2011 5:53 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. As i required to move from 10g to 11g along with migration, am planning to install 11g oracle binaries and database instance on target box with OS as linux and trigger IMIG data transfer for largest tables between source and target system..

I would do a standard heterogeneous system copy using R3load - running the export and import in parallel. With a proper configuration and the proper I/O subsystem you can migrate half to one TB per hour.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks for reply.

I was looking if you can clear me on this.

I belive raw data will be moved between source and target during IMIG data transfer which is independent of OS or DB.

So, is this feasible that source having 10g database and target as 11g database and triggering IMIG data transfer..

Note: Special IMIG transports will be implemented on source and target, to make systems ready for IMIG data transfer.

IMIG transports will be provided from sap.

RFC connections will be maintained between source and target to make IMIG data transfer..

case 1 : I dont want to increase downtime on source upgrading to 11g during migration process

case 2: I dont want to increase downtime on target after migration thats upgrading to 11g..

Next for remaining tables, i can work with Parallel exp/imp using distmon.

I belive export is independent of database verion, so i think upgrading database is not required on source or target..

However, i will be installing oracle 11g binaries + creating db instance on target system, that is complete 11g database is installed before trggering IMIG transfer.

Experts !.. Looking for your inputs.

Regards,

Jaleel Ahmed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check this thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are currently prerparing for a migration of SUSE Linux 11 and an upgrade of Oracle 10.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.2. Trying to find any documentaion on this. Can you tell me what kind of documentation you have and where did you go to find it.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

Since it is OS move and not db i think if you use database specific tools you would be moving data much faster.There are many techniques like transportable tablespaces and oracle to oracle online.Not sure how will you accomodate db upgrade in those methods.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have heard that IMIG must be performed only by SAP Consultants. Open a message under BC-INS.

Thanks

Srikanth M

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

manfred_bantle
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sorry, here are the continuance ..

Big advantage from distribution monitor:

you can distribute the resources for the export / import on different servers

you have a graphical user interface over the current state of export / import

you can the export / import restart user-defined

We didn't use th migmon.

We have only good experience with the distmon tool. For the first time we used the distmon for unciode conversion of our SAP systems last year.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have also planned to use distribution monitor for os migration from hp ux to suse linux of ecc 6.o system along with oracle upgrade to 11 g.

have gone thro distribution monitor pdf.Distmon can be used with sidadm user.

For export , we can use it using sidadm since we have application servers but for import how it can be acheived? since all together we will installing new system with new os. How can it be acheived ?

Can anyone clears it to me?

Thanks in advance.

Sreenivas.

manfred_bantle
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Admed,

all our SAP system runs on HPUX with Oracle 10.2.

We startet last month to migrate all our SAP systems to SUSE Linux 11 and Oracle 11.2.0.2 with enabling the advanced compression feature.

Our migration method:

1.) We install the new SAP environment and Oracle database 11.2.0.2 with sapinst on Linux.

2.) We do the whole export / import from the SAP system only with the distributin monitor from SAP

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

if you want to use IMIG, you need to follow SAP note 693168.

IMIG is not generally released.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG