cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMD Agent install on V6R1 - host name issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm looking to update our SMD Agents to go along with the SP25 Solution Manager upgrade I just completed per note 1368413. It has installation guide in the note regarding the install of the SMD 7.2 agent.

Now this is where I'm having issue. Before in our system we had just the one host name for all the systems on the LPAR. So it wasn't an issue using the same agent for each system during the setup. But since I last did this we have overhauled our boxes. Each system has been moved to an iASP and to external disk, also we've made a DNS change so the system name is now the host name.

Does this mean I need to install a SMD agent for each system on the LPAR?

Or am I missing something while attaching it that allows me to keep it available to the other systems?

Thank you for any help on this one.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

My organization has been running SMD with SolMan SP21 for about a year. Our iSeries systems all use direct attached disk, and we're using the 7.01 agent, so our situation isn't exactly similar. I've installed the 7.2 agent on a few Windows systems in our landscape and I don't think its operation is significantly different from the 7.01 agent. You could have multiple agents installed in a single LPAR, but they would have to report to different SMD systems. We do that on our sandbox systems: we have a sandbox agent reporting to our dev SolMan system and a production agent reporting to our prod SolMan system. Each SAP system on that LPAR then has to be registered in each SolMan system.

Bottom line: I believe you still just want one agent per LPAR. When you register each SAP system in the SMD setup screen SolMan should detect which agent is installed in its LPAR and use that agent for monitoring.

Robert Garst

SAP Basis Engineer, Perrigo Company

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply,

To get this to work I've needed a SMD agent for each system. So, I've installed multiple agents per LPAR. This was the only way I could attach it to a system during the managed systems setup wizard.

I still have a fight on my hands regarding the host name table, the host name of the agent changes with the change of the table. It breaks up my naming convention, but still should work. It's ugly but it appears to be working.

-Ryan