SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Necessity of Business Event Package

former_member182585
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why do we need to create business event package? I know its very basic question, answered several times but i want to book my students in module (SM) and Business Event (E) and carry out appraisals and attendance recording etc.

Is it possible to do Module appraisal without booking students to SE? What all implication it will have if i erase this one step. We don't have concept of SE in LSO.

Regards

Vinod Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod,

Here is an example for you.

When i was in college my computer engineering batch was divided into two sections. We all used to attend lecture together but our lab and tutorials used to be at different time. Because in most of the university capacity of lecture rooms are more than Lab/tutorial rooms.

Now let's try to handle this in SAP. We have three business event type Lecture(D1), Lab(D2) and Tutorial(D3). Because all of them have different attributes/requirement. Now we need 1 lecture(E1), 2 Labs(E2 and E3) and 2 tutorials( E4 and E5) events because they all have different locations(rooms).

In event Package you assign these events. Section 1 (SE1) will consist events E1,E2 and E4. Event package SE2 will consist E1 E3 and E5. In Nutshell both sections sharing lecture.

By doing this you will not encounter any resource conflicts and you can report instructor teaching load correctly as well.

Prabhat Singh

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

The answer to the main question of your post is YES, you can create SM and E, and book students to SM and E, without the need of SE (event package) object. The appraisals are stored at SM level, so that's not a problem.

But in spite of that you can do it without the SE, I would reccomend you to use Event Packages.

Apart from being useful to book students to more than one event at a time (maybe this is not the practice of your client), SE object is an information repository that might be useful in other SLCM processes. SE is a native SLCM object. E is an inherited object from TEM. Some SLCM processes will have at hand information from SE object but not from E. You will have to work more on getting E object information in some processes if you need it.

Diego

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Event Packages are purely ment to group events and to make life easy of a student/employee in the process of multiple event booking. With the event packages a student can book one module with multiple events attached to it.

Hereby some more information about the SE:

Event Packages (ES) bundle Events (E) together and can be part of a module or a Business Event Type (D). The Event Package can either be a reusable, long-lived object or a short-lived object which is used only for one Event Planning session. The Event itself is created a new in each Event Planning period.

Through Event Packages you can do the following:

- Book several academic offerings at once instead of having to book each separately.

- Organize academic offerings (e.g. tutorials, lectures, exams, etc.) for different learning objectives or for different instructors.

- Set tuition fees for the offerings listed under Modules. They therefore make it possible to define different fees for different Event Packages.

- Define booking rules in Rule Containers per package.

- Define the Campus at which an Event Package is held.

- Maintain an Academic Calendar for the Event Package.

- Maintain capacities per Event Package.

- Maintain a pattern per Event Package.

PS Within SAP TEM (LSO) the Course Programs (EK) are used to bundle D's. This has no relation with SLcM!

best regards,

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod,

Here is an example for you.

When i was in college my computer engineering batch was divided into two sections. We all used to attend lecture together but our lab and tutorials used to be at different time. Because in most of the university capacity of lecture rooms are more than Lab/tutorial rooms.

Now let's try to handle this in SAP. We have three business event type Lecture(D1), Lab(D2) and Tutorial(D3). Because all of them have different attributes/requirement. Now we need 1 lecture(E1), 2 Labs(E2 and E3) and 2 tutorials( E4 and E5) events because they all have different locations(rooms).

In event Package you assign these events. Section 1 (SE1) will consist events E1,E2 and E4. Event package SE2 will consist E1 E3 and E5. In Nutshell both sections sharing lecture.

By doing this you will not encounter any resource conflicts and you can report instructor teaching load correctly as well.

Prabhat Singh

0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat and Rob,

So that implies if i create SM, D, and E, i will be able to book the students and do the follow up activities. My requirement is straightforward. We will have 10 instructor led sections going on simultaneously in different rooms taken by different instructors.

So i dont think we need to create SE for these. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards

Vinod Kumar

0 Kudos

Vinod,

Are you letting student book at event level? I will recommend let student select which section(SE) he/she want to take depending upon their schedule.

Prabhat Singh

0 Kudos

Vinod, as I told you in my first answer, you can do what you stated here (book student to SM and E without the SE). We've doing that for almost 10 years here at the University of Montevideo. But as I also stated (Prabhat and Rob also did it), if I were to do it again from scratch I would use SE and book students to SE and E. It may be helpful for future requirements.

Diego