cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Database independent Export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Usually standard export available from SAP is platform independent, OS as well as Database.

When we export any system using sapinst, it asks for the target database and only the directory with selected target data is filled with data. Whereas in standard SAP export all database directories are filled with data.

Is there a way to export the system which can be used to import on any database platform, how ?

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

SAP Technology Consultant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> When we export any system using sapinst, it asks for the target database and only the directory with selected target data is filled with data. Whereas in standard SAP export all database directories are filled with data.

>

> Is there a way to export the system which can be used to import on any database platform, how ?

The question is: why would a customer want to do that?

You can do that yourself, only the first phases must be done several times for each database, the export itself doesn't need to be done. You can simply select "start migration monitor manually", export ONCE the data and then execute sapinst again for each database but don't run the actual export.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus,

The reason is: I am with a consulting firm where we do fast track implementations using SAP Best Practices.

For SAP Best Practices system, there is a prerequisite to be on a particular release and patch level for e.g. ERP 6.04 SPS04

As you would agree that EhP upgrade process is a lengthy one. So what I desire to do is to make ERP 6.04 SPS04 system export ready which I can use to setup systems at client site on any platform.

Could you please elaborate on the procedure you just described in your last reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Not sure if i got your requirement correctly ... but i understand that you want a any to any system copy ... which as indicated above is not possible ...

I think this what i would do ....

I can get all the TPL files by running the R3ldctl ... so i have all the TPL files for all the database

I would take two export one with target codepage 4103 , 4102 ( as you mentioned its ECC 6.0 so i am leaving out 1100) ...

during import i would say extFiles=no so that way i free myself of the database ...

Regards,

Neel.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Could you please elaborate on the procedure you just described in your last reply.

You have to execute the R3load export only once.

For the other database start sapinst, select the same number of packages/splits etc. as on the first export and select the option "start migration monitor manually". Do that for each database.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear shahkashyap,

Everytime you run an export, you have to indicate the sapinst the OS/DB target combination

because it need to build all the structures and load data to be compatible with the

target system.

If you want to have an export to be compatible to all Data Bases,you have to run the export

for every DB.

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got answer for Database independent export.

Now how about OS independent in terms of little endian and big endian.

As while exporting it is a combo box where in we can only select either little or bi endian.

But standard export that SAP provides are all independent even from this as it can be imported in little or big endian systems.

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually it doesn't matter whether you choose big or little endian. If you choose the actual target platform R3load doesn't need to convert during import --> saving time.

You can, however, import an export for little endian on a big endian platform and vice versa.

And it's not necessary to run the export several times for each database, the files are identical. You just have to make sure you have the .EXT files for the necessary databases. I would run the export once with a certain number of split tables completely. For all other databases I'd start sapinst and run it until the export starts (with the identical number of split tables etc.) - then stop sapinst and merge the content of the directories.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

OS/DB Migration Matrix is available at SMP - and any to any combination is not possible.