cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Archiving

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

This post is not about any issue or problem, its about some general information that I need to gather. Before going into details let me put the details of my system.

SAP: 4.6C

DB: MS Sql

I need to schedule some jobs for data archiving and I have the program, the variants and specifications all ready in store. I know how to schedule the JOBS and all information are in place.

But just before going in with the scheduling, can you guys share some of the knowledge from your personal experiences? By knowledge I mean, tips and tricks, issues , etc.

As I will run these jobs at the PRD system, moreover, it's my first time, so it's of utmost importance for me to gather all these informations.

Regards,

Avishek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Avishek,

Am also working on Data Archival. Am able to archive the data in Application server, but the same data is not available in Presentation server. Please let me know what has to be done.

1. Is content repository is must

2. Do we need any authorization to download data in Presentation server.

Regards

Aishwarya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aishwarya, can you please start a new thread with your querry, as per the rules of this forum? Every one, including me will be happy to help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The mandatory advice for SAP Data Archiving is to NEVER, NEVER do it directly on the production system.

You need absolutely to get first a system with a fresh system copy of the production database and to test your Data Archiving on this testbed sytem.

You will be able to validate that, you will delete the right data, you will get the run times, the load generated, the archive files volumetry, etc...

AND the functional users will need to validate this data archiving on the test system before giving their GO for the production archiving.

Otherwise you will jump from the plane with no parachute. It's possible but only 2 persons have been known to survive...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolutely agree with Olivier, data archiving is an extremely sensitive area where you're archiving and deleting data from SAP tables and then moving it to an external storage system. To reload this archived data into SAP tables is very tricky (SAP doesn't recommend it because of inconsistencies that it creates) and not all archiving objects allow this reload functionality. So if you archive and delete the wrong data you will be able to only display it in the future.

Also, don't forget about the big picture. You need to test that the data archiving functionality works and that you're archiving the data that you intend to and when you intend to. It's also important to test that once this data is archived and deleted from SAP online tables, it's retrievable from the storage system and can be displayed from SAP (typically using the read programs or transaction SARI).

Along with the data archiving process, it's key to also have a table reorganization solution in place that will reorganize indexes, tables, ... as otherwise you'll not see the benefits of data archiving on your system.

Finally, pay special attention to dependencies between archiving objects (and jobs) and schedule these jobs in off-peak usage time for the system as they are quite resource and time demanding jobs.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies and expert advices. Is there anything more that I need to know?

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why not have a look at help.sap document, if you have sufficient time

These are very good and will help you in every step.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/8d/3e4d70462a11d189000000e8323d3a/frameset.htm

thanks

ashish