cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coding utility in Wedbynpro ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just want to know if there is a utility with which you can search for classes and functions while writing code in WDA. Like when i type CL it should display a list of all classes and you can select the one which you want. The same utility is there in Webdynpro Java in NWDS by pressing CTRL+Space.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gill367
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is not feasible as of now in any of the realesed versions.

even I dont think so it will there in 7.03 also.

but one NWDS plugin is available form some third party which can be run on eclipse to get this CNTRL+SPACE

funcationality and that is not free to download.

so i guess we have to wait for some more years for it to be available in ABAP EDitors.

but anyways they have this code wizard which is really helpful in generating code.

you can use it.

thanks

sarbjeet singh

vineetrrakesh
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sarbjeet,

It's available in 7.02 and i am using it, I will advise to be little optimistic, there are lot of enhancemnts are going on to support SAP developers and this one is already taken care, it just a matter of time.

Regards

Vineet

gill367
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Vineet,

I was not aware of that to be introduced in 7.02.

i have attended the seesion on new features in 7.02 but haven't got any info on that.

any ways if you are saying u r using then it is a great news for us.

Is it possible to get all the methods of a class jus t by pressing cntrl+space after the instance of the class created.

means is it fully functional . i know they have something similar in 7.00 itself but it doesn't work properly.

the suggestion are given for keywords and the variables declared in the program in the tooltip

and you use it by pressing tab or cntrl+space.

is it any different in 7.02 and gives methods and all the related stuff by pressing some key combination ?

thanks

sarbjeet singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Vinneet is right !!

7.02 is coming up with code completion,statement chaining,auto completion for search help etc.

gill367
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Basakaran and vineet.

so finally in abap we have this feature.

i checked it in this blog

/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2010/04/14/what-is-new-in-abap-language-abap-workbench-and-enhancement-framework-with-sap-netweaver-70-ehp2

and it is a great feature saves a lot of time.

i wanna test it so downloading 7.02.

thanks

sarbjeet singh

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

This is full syntactically code completion and works for all global and local objects. We actually do a partial compile on the page when you active the code completion and then search the ABAP repository backend via a lightweight call from the ABAP editor on the SAPGUI.

It not only works for classes but also function modules, data dictionary objects, forms, events, etc. When you hold down the shift key as you select an item from the completion list the editor will even do a full pattern insertion (same as hitting the pattern button and going through the dialogs). There are also new wizards availble via the code completion for generating local types, messages and using the write statement.

This functionality was actually developed back in 2006 and originally shipped in NetWeaver 7.10. It has been in all subsequent releases - 7.11, 7.20 and 7.30. 7.02 was the first release where this functionality was backported to the Business Suite.

gill367
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

thanks

actually i was initially working in web dynpro java

and in web dynpro abap really was missing that feature.

one random question

This functionality was actually developed back in 2006 and originally shipped in NetWeaver 7.10. It has been in all subsequent releases - 7.11, 7.20 and 7.30. 7.02 was the first release where this functionality was backported to the Business Suite

where i can find info about these release numbers

how 7.20 is different from 7.02

thanks

sarbjeet singh

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

7.20/7.30 really isn't different than 7.02. In 7.02 development we backported just about everything that had been developed for 7.10/7.11/7.20/7.30. The only ABAP features which weren't backported to 7.02 were the enhanced package concept and the refactoring assistant.

frank_stdle
Participant
0 Kudos

Is there a particular reason why the refactoring assistant was not included? -- good refactoring tools are actually one of the things I miss most in the ABAP editor. I guess if ABAP for Eclipse is ever released we will have full support for refactoring, but do you have any idea when/if this will be backported to 7.02?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No I can't really comment on why the refactoring tools were held back. Hopefully a future enhancement package for NetWeaver 7.0 will contain them.

>I guess if ABAP for Eclipse is ever released we will have full support for refactoring

I don't think you can assume that. ABAP in Eclipse is still server side development. The functionality of the ABAP Workbench is being service enabled and exposed to Eclipse. Eclipse then replaces the SAPGUI as the client. Although of the built in Eclipse tools (like task tracking) are immediately available; anything like refactoring that changes code really needs to be supported from the server side first. Currently with the internal version of ABAP in Eclipse we use inside SAP there is no refactoring support.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vineetrrakesh
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

The utility you have mentioned is available in 7.02 only, so you have to wait thill this is available to you.

Regards

Vineet