cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a Line Chart curved instead of straight from point-to-point?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a Line Chart that is is very jagged and plots directly from point to point, like this:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7408/testhb.jpg

But I want to achieve something that looks a bit smoother where the line instead is curved from point to point, like this:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12839_01/bi.1111/b32122/img/curvedline_graph.gif

Is this possible in Xcelsius 2008? I couldn't find anything in the graph's properties and I also had no luck when searching google/these forums for a solution. Thanks for the help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone have some insight on this?

liliana_gil
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott, it´s not possible to change the lines chart in that way.

Regars,

Liliana

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, forgot to post the SWF

http://www.warbytowers.co.uk/curves.swf

It's made up of shorter straight lines, but they use the same rules that Excel's curved lines use.

If this is what you want, let me know and I'll email you the XLF.

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi can you provide me the xlf file of the smooth line chart you did? i am on the trial evaluation of the dashboard design and want to explore first before buying. thanks in advance...

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok send ur mail id to my business card.

In Subject line Mention XLF of Line chart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Would the 'Trend Analyzer' work the same way?

But i think it might be available to only a few versions?

Thanks,

Iris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi would you be able to send me the XLF please? I am new to Xcelsius and just looking for new ideas. This is one of the things that I was after! Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Richard. I am required to generate a Sine wave in xcelsius and your post seemed quite relevant. So could  you kindly mail me a copy of your xlf file? my mail id is <email address removed>

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher I removed the email address as this is against the SCN Rules of engagement. Files can be uploaded via the "Use advanced editor" link on each SCN post.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

I saw your .swf file and it was exactly what i was looking for.

Can you please send me the .xlf file to <email removed>

Thank you very much!

Francisco

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher I removed the email address as this is against the SCN Rules of engagement. Files can be uploaded via the "Use advanced editor" link on each SCN post.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

The line chart which you have developed looks good. Could you please share the XLF file. My mail id is <email removed>

Thanks,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Richard

I have come across the same scenario today and I saw your .swf file and it was exactly what i was looking for.

Can you please be kind enough to send me the .XLF fil on <email address removed>

Thanks

Arshiyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

Can you please upload the XLF for the curved line graph here.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone provide an update to this thread?

I would love the xlf file or the explanation of the formulas used if possible.

This would be a life saver and make my info-graphic dashboard complete in the model I wanted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do have a similar requirement. Can you please send me the XLF File or the formula you used to make the curve smooth. I am trying with 1- Cos (value).... buts its not that smooth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was afraid of that. It may be possible if I went the route of using formula's in Excel to create additional plotted points to help curve the line, but that can't happen because it'd falsify business numbers.

Thanks for the answer!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've actually done this now!

You can use formulas in Xcelsius to create interpolated points that are the same points that Excel would have used to created its smoothed line when you check the "smoothed line" checkbox.

I didn't feel I would be "falsifying" business data any more than I would be when checking the "smoothed line" box in Excel.

If you're still interested, let me know!

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would be interested in knowing the formula. Did you have a sample .xlf you could host somewhere that I could download and look around in?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Please,

I am interested .Please tell me how to do lines smooth.or is it possible for you you share with me the xlf file.please help me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes As you can Make it By Using Sine or Cosine Formula.

Check help in Excel