cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPSCRIPT & FORMS access from MII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We have a set of SAPSCRIPTS & FORMS used for Labels Printing (directing the output to installed printers in various locations). Since there is no defined RFC and/or BAPI used in this case, what would be the steps to be taken in order to have access to this functionality from MII (12.1.8) (i.e. passing the parameters and launching the print label command) ?

Do we need to build zome Z BAPI / RFC (i.e. recreate the SAPSCRIPT as a function) or is there an easier way to approach this?

Thanks,

paul.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Paul,

Depending on the label printing technology in place you may not need to develop anything custom in MII. For example with Zebra printers they support an FTP interface so you can drop an XML or flat file and the label will print in the format stored on the label printer. Another typical option is the print server will support HTTP requests which you can make via the MII POST action.

If you do decide to go the custom action route you can use the javax printing APIs to spool a request to a label printer in whatever format the printer is expecting; can be an XML file here. As long as the SYSTEM account has access to the printer you will be golden. We have lots of customers doing this today where the print server manager the label formats required for printing.

Also, if you want to describe the printing hardware you have in more detail maybe we can determine the best approach out of the list of options mentioned above.

Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos

Paul,

I probably should mention that EWM has printing functionality built into it that MII can trigger as well rather than communicating with a central ERP system (I believe that EWM will also manage the label printing format/layout documents).

- Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the printing note, I've also had a lot of success using Loftware for printing to shop floor printers. It would take a CSV file sent from a BLS transaction.

HariCS23
Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add what Doug mentioned, We are using Loftware FTP interface and writing XML pass files to the network location. And loftware polls that folder and prints using predefined template.

But you might need to design that SAPScript form using Loftware Design. If it is simple label ,you can design that in few minutes in loftware. 

The same scenario can be achieved by using almost any Print server such as codesoft...etc.

To the Michael's point,ME does the the same as writing pass files on a event ( hook points, hookable activities ) , ADS or Loftware pools the network location print the label/form.

Thanks

Hari 

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

I am not sure if this'll apply to scripts & forms but one can use RFC_CALL_TRANSACTION_USING to execute a transaction in R/3 from MII .

This RFC as an input requires a BDC table which essentilly is the key strokes and data that you would use when actually executing the transaction via SAP GUI. One can get this data by recording the execution steps of a transaction , using tcode SHDB.

I remember I was successful once , with this approach when we wanted to print Work Orders from MII and wanted to leverage the printers already configured in R/3.

Another way could be to expose these transactions as iViews on the MII Portal , but you would have to configure SSO between MII & R/3 for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Udayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I to am playing around with RFC_CALL_TRANSACTION_USING Trying to emulate CM01. If I find a good solution I'll post it here.

Given the basic (actually for the most part COMPLETE) lack of documentain on RFC's and BAPI's I think it would be great if the MII community would create a good knowledge base of BAPI calls and how to use them.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the ME folks use documents in ECC to hold their label information and then download them to ME via MII. Not sure how ME handles them afterwards, but I will try to get someone from the ME crew to provide some information or suggestions.

Regards,

Mike

former_member188831
Contributor
0 Kudos

If the do not have MII portal we cannot use iViews.

is it good idea to create WD link to showup the form in PDF.

what is the best way to print the forms forms in MII from ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

There is no default action block in SAP MII for printing. You need to develop a custom action block in MII for printing or as you said need to recreate the functionality in SAP using Z BAPI.

Thanks

Rajesh.S