cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

db design tool for databasestudio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are there tools/plugins for doing db design in databasestudio?

Regards,

IL

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In general you can use any Eclipse-Plugin for that.

But do you actually know the graphical table/view/join editors?

For basic stuff these should be sufficient; if you really want to do serious logical database design, then you'll be better off with a regular tool for that.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

I didn't know about the editors. Perhaps they would be enough to begin with. How do I start them?

I'm new to DBStudio and was looking in the docu for data modeling hints but didn't find anything useful.

By regular tool, do you mean something like Oracle's Data Modeler?

Regards,

IL

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I didn't know about the editors. Perhaps they would be enough to begin with. How do I start them?

> I'm new to DBStudio and was looking in the docu for data modeling hints but didn't find anything useful.

> By regular tool, do you mean something like Oracle's Data Modeler?

>

> Regards,

> IL

I meant any ERD tool. There are many out there; I'm sure google will be your friend with this as well.

As a matter of fact the last ERD tool I used myself happened to be Oracle Designer 6... (that makes me appear quite old I think...)

For DB Studio, trying out the context menus (right-mouse-button) on every level in the object tree on the left screen side is a very good way to find out the available functions.

Also there's the MaxDB documentation page [http://maxdb.sap.com/training/] where you can find e.g. this [Using SAP MaxDB Database Studio (in SAP and Non-SAP Environments)|http://maxdb.sap.com/training/administration_7.6/MaxDB-Admin-DBStudio-LCM263.pdf].

It's not a complete documentation but maybe a good starting point.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the hints, Lars.

Oracle Designer is no longer being updated. Data Modeler is replacing it, and it's a free tool now (it was a for cost option for SQL Developer but no longer: http://blogs.oracle.com/OTechMusings/2010/09/free_as_in_beer_data_modeler.html )

Data Modeler is a very nice design tool, you can even import Oracle Designer models straight from the repository.

I wonder if we'll ever have such a nice tool integrated into DB Studio.

Regards,

Isaac

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I wonder if we'll ever have such a nice tool integrated into DB Studio.

>

> Regards,

> Isaac

I don't think that it will and I even hope that it won't will.

It would be out of scope for what the database studio is meant for.

There are many good programs on their own available for that; no need to replicate functions over and over.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I disagree. If it is already possible to design at the relational level in DB Studio, why not also at the logical level?

Regards,

IL

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm.. why do you disagree?

Because there is functionality that looks similar in the UI and thus the developers of MaxDB database studio proved they could possible create a design tool for logical databases?

That would be: "Because it's possible".

Well, MaxDBs primary design and development goal (the primary not the only one) was and is to serve as a super-low-cost RDBMS for SAP NetWeaver systems. For those systems you don't need another database design tool.

All other use cases are - in my very own private opinion - not worth the hassle to come up with a reasonably features logic db design tool. Think of features like

• abstract data type definition (domains),

• design pattern catalogues with automatic object creation,

• automated checks for logical consistency,

• re-factoring,

• constraint checking,

• source code version and multi user management,

• change package creation ...

and there are tons more.

It would be a huge task to do. And there is little if no perspective of getting any money out of this.

And it wouldn't make the software any better. It's already too complex in it's ways sometimes (just remember your initial question).

Besides, where is there a way to gain any money from those added features? I don't see anybody giving a dime for any feature of MaxDB. As I work for SAP I like to see this company to be successful. And that cannot be done by putting good and able developers to non-profit work.

Ok, here you have it. My reason why I wouldn't want such functionality in MaxDB database studio (and believe me, I send dozens of feature requests to our colleagues, when it was initially released).

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see your point, but I still disagree. In my opinion, a design tool would make MaxDB better known and more used all over the world. Without a design tool, it's difficult to manage complex designs.

The revenue must not come from the free tool, there are always additional ways of making business if the software has a wide installed base. Take for example, Adobe's Reader, and Oracle's SQL Developer and now Data Modeler.

Regards,

IL

Answers (0)