cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATABASE BACKUP

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI SAP guru's,

We are using MS SQL server in sap. We are doing backup of only database , not sap related directories like (trans, sys , run....) .

Is this backup is useful or not , if database crashes , we can restore the database because already we taken full backup but it can be successfully restore with sap system or not. because we are not taken sap directories...

can anybody give good suggestion regarding this?????

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

when you loose only the database, you can restore the backup of the database and use the existing SAP system with the restored DB. There is no additional action necessary.

If you loose the complete SQL Server, you have to install it anew, restore the DB and then run the SAPInst Tool with the System Copy option to glue the existing SAP System and the new, restored DB together.

If you loose both (DB and SAP Directories) you have to install a new SAP System, restore the database and then use the SAPInst Systemcopy option to glue them together.

Best regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Whatever you say is correct , but i like to know that if my sap crashes then also it is synchronize with the all the files and restore successful?

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

the database backup contains only the database. The SAP Files and directories are not part of the backup and will not be restored. You have to use a different backup approach to save them (NT Backup).

But on the other hand is the Database backup the only thing you really need. So, if your datacenter is burning, the tape with the backup is the one to grab. You can instal lthe new CI and DI then and use the restored database.

If I still missed your question, please be more specific in what should be restored.

Best regards

Clas

Answers (0)