cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Edit to hold unlimited data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My requirement is I need a comments field on the screen which holds unlimited amount of data (20,000 chars).

I tried to use Text Edit and bind it to a string field. But this is only capturing 255 characters of data.

I tried using Xstring, LCHAr also but nothing works.

Please help me how to do this.

Regards

Madhavi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhavi Latha,

If text which is longer than 255 characters, or needs to be formatted into paragraphs, u need to create a standard SAP script text using transaction SO10. Once u have saved and have the text name, binding the SAP script text to a FormattedTextView UI element. And call READ_TEXT Function modeule to read standard text. or

You are using textedit, in texedit, You can Set number of rows as like10 in the Rows Property of TextEdit. try textedit help ..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/29/9587677837be4ebab175ede37364a2/content.htm

for more help se this..also

Cheers,

Kris.

Edited by: kissnas on Feb 14, 2011 8:18 AM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>If text which is longer than 255 characters, or needs to be formatted into paragraphs, u need to create a standard SAP script text using transaction SO10.

That's really not true. You should be able to use a STRING with the TextEdit UI element without restriction. Are you sure the attribute you are binding is type STRING or STRING_TABLE? You say you tried XSTRING, but you couldn't have bound that directly. How exactly did you try an XSTRING?

From the online help:

The attribute to be bound can be of type STRING or STRING_TABLE. With STRING_TABLE rows from TextEdit are stored as table rows. A line break is always stored as a line feed in a STRING (CL_ABAP_CHAR_UTILITIES=>NEWLINE, ASCII decimal 10). The Web Dynpro framework carries out the conversion for the client platform.

Note that a string to be displayed in TextEdit, must only use a line feed as a line break.