cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image moves when printed from SAP queue versus Adobe Reader.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've got a form with a image embedded into it that serves as a background watermark.

This document is usually printed from Adobe Reader, however some users have requested the ability to print directly to a SAP printer without using Adobe Reader to print using windows drivers.

When the form is sent to a SAP printer the image watermark is for some reason moved about 3mm to the right which causes the watermark not to align with the Text Fields that also print on the form. The text fields do not move, they print in exactly the same spot with either print method. Only the image seems to be affected.

Has anyone run into this? The image is an embeded .png file that is set to Scale Image Poportionally in the sizing options.

Thanks for any input!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your replies.

I looked at the notes you suggested and it does seem related to the extra margin added to documents printed to PCL-5.

If I use LiveCycle to set an image field .5mm from the left edge of the page, and then print it from SAP directly and then from Adobe Reader I see two different things.

Adobe Reader (with page scaling option turned off) will simply omit anything that falls outside the printable range.

SAP will move the omitted content into the printable area. This is what is causing my image watermark not to align properly with the text in front of it. The image field was too close to the left margin and so in the process of printing, SAP has moved it over to fit in the printable area.

It seems I can fix this issue for my particular requirement by creating a new image field that has the extra white space removed so that I can keep the image field farther away from the left edge of the page.

Not sure if there is some way to change the way the drivers for device type HPLJ4 are handling these margins, but it will likely just be easier to change the images to move them further from the edge which seems to fix it.

Edited by: Clay Robinson on Feb 15, 2011 9:59 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Congrats Mate,

Apparently it seems you got a solution or a work around for this, can you please close the post marking it as answered.

cheers,

Sai

andrs_sarcevic
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clay,

I'm pretty sure this is related to the printer drivers. As you well said, the Adobe Reader uses windows drivers to print the form, but SAP acess the printer directly, bypassing windows drivers. Which is the font you're using? if you're not seeing any change in the text, you might be using ARIAL, COURIER, TNR as these are the ones supporter by any windows/printer drivers.

Take a look at note [409194|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/409194], and seek help from your Basis team. If it is in fact a print driver issue, they should be involved.

Cheers,

Andres.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clay,

Also there is a possibility like this, which I have come across.

I had a text element, with Windings & Arial fonts.

Some how windings font was not identified on my system, all the text with windings font are replaced with Arial.

since the font weight of windings is greater than Arial, my text has wrapped up and caused 2 lines space.

since my text element and subform are auto height & flowed respectively, elements looked to be overlapped.

may be this sort of issue in your case, check with that.

Note: when I print preview on ADLC it looked fine, but when its printed via a job to PDF enabled output device it happend so.

This is because ADLC is local and can read fonts from the system, but when the form is published via SAP it comes from ADS, there in ADS if these fonts are not embeded you will have it replaced by the substitution fonts.

Cheers,

Sai

andrs_sarcevic
Contributor
0 Kudos

Good point, Sai.

I remember there is an option in the Designer to set up the replacement font for those cases, if you want. If a font, other than standard ones, are going to be used, it should be installed locally on the PC, SAP and I believe you can install it under ADS as well. I have always asked for help from the Basis team on this issues.

Regards,

Andres.