Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC connection to MS Access DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have a problem with a JDBC connection to a MS Access DB

I am using the JDBC driver "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver". And when I have my mdb file on the XI server directly and use connection parameter "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=//<xiserver>/folder/TESTXI.mdb" I can write data into the DB without problems.

But when I have my Access mdb file on a different server which is not the XI Server I get the error "Cannot establish connection to URL 'jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=//<IP>/Share/TESTXI.mdb': SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x1df0 Thread 0x4b0 DBC 0x887502c Jet'.'"

Do you have any ideas?

I would be grateful for every information.

Thanks

sven

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushumna,

pinging the other server is no problem, also accessing the folder directly from the XI server is no problem. Just if I try to do it with the JDBC adapter...

Br,

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check if you are giving the format of the Connection URL corectly.

From help documentation:-

<i>6. Specifications for database access

db.connectionURL=<jdbc_driver_connection_url>

Specify the address with which you can establish a database connection using the JDBC driver. The exact format of the address can vary; see documentation from the respective provider for more details. This specification is mandatory.</i>

Regards,

Sushumna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Just check if you are able to connect to this IP from the XI server with the user id and password. I'm not sure how but I think you will probably have to use the run command (telnet IP address) and try to ping and see the connection between these two servers. Because, I think that only when this connection is successful, you will be able to access the DB.

Regards,

Sushumna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks again for the replies. Unfotunately I already went thru all this stuff .IUSR_* has proper rights, etc.

Is there no one who already implemented a JDBC call to an Access DB which is not located on XI server directly?

Br,

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer to this link for that error.

http://www.xlinesoft.com/asprunner/docs/error_unable_to_open_registry_key_'temporary_(volatile)_jet_dsn_for_process_..._.htm

Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for the replies but unfortunately the access rights are set up properly there should be no issue. But still doesn't work. Do you have any other idea?

Thanks,

Sven

sridharreddy_kondam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hai Sven,

Check this thread which gives solution to the same problem..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q295297

and also

http://www.attention-to-details.com/newslog/38n-temporary-volatile-jet-dsn-for-process.asp

Thanks and regards,

Sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The directory specified must be accessible by the service user of the Adapter engine, with appropriate read/write permissions..The same applies to any adapter whether it is a File or JDBC.Actually in the first case your directory is accessible by service user whereas in the second case its not.

Regards,

Sudheer.

sridharreddy_kondam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Have u gone through this weblog..

/people/sameer.shadab/blog/2005/10/24/connecting-to-ms-access-using-receiver-jdbc-adapter-without-dsn

Thanks and Regards,

Sridhar