Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release planning assistance

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear community,

could you kindly assist me in release planning, for the following migration scenario:

Source : x86_64 linux oracle erp 6.0 SR2

Target : X86_64 win2008R2 mssql2008R2

Requirement for 2008 versions of mssql and winsrv is to have SR3 in general.

My question is, will I have to upgrade all current components to SR3, or could I just do :

upgrade sap_basis to : 700 0013 SAPKB70013 (per note 1076022 - to get mssql prereq) (non-bw system)

use modified IM SR3 to do the system copy ( per note 1152240 - required for mssql2008 )

I would prefer not to have to upgrade all components to sr3, if possible.

But of course I must have a system which is on supported versions, thus my question.

Rgds, Eirikur.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In terms of DVDs I'd always use the latest versions (the SR3) so all necessary fixes in sapinst are in place.

Generally means "SR3" a higher version of installed SPs than SR2. You can get to SR3 by simply updating to later support packages.

Markus

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

I know that I should use the SR3 DVD disks.

I also know what SR3 means and that I can upgrade my system by applying support packs to go from SR2 to SR3.

However I would prefer not to upgrade all used components to sr3, because it would involve more risks and additional testing efforts, compared with only applying sap_basis support package 13. I am seeking a confirmation that my understanding is correct. Best would be if some sap employee could give me a statement along the following lines:

"Yes it is enough just to upgrade sap_basis. No it is not necessary to upgrade all system components to sr3".

Rgds, eirikur.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I also know what SR3 means and that I can upgrade my system by applying support packs to go from SR2 to SR3.

> However I would prefer not to upgrade all used components to sr3, because it would involve more risks and additional testing efforts, compared with only applying sap_basis support package 13.

Well - concerning the fact, that you are migrating your database to another one quite a lot of testing should be involved anyway so you could do that testing "alltogether".

> I am seeking a confirmation that my understanding is correct. Best would be if some sap employee could give me a statement along the following lines:

> "Yes it is enough just to upgrade sap_basis. No it is not necessary to upgrade all system components to sr3".

Technically this is the fact, yes. You need SP14, not SP13 according to "Note 1076022 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (R2)":

b) Minimum support package levels and SAP kernel patch levels
         For non-SAP BW systems the minimum 700 SAP_BASIS support package level is SP14.

You can install SP14 alone - IF there's not an implicit dependency to other components. SPAM will say if there is one.

Markus

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

thank your for the reply, confirming that my plan is correct (apart for the wrong sp I mentioned).

>you could do that testing "alltogether".

Since I have to install the sp first on the source system, I was assuming that we have to test there first after applying the sp, and then again after migrating to new platform.

For this reason I am trying to minimize the first testing phase.

I am grateful for your reply and am rating it as "very helpful".

Now if a sap employee could also confirm, then I could "select : question has been answered".

Rgds, eirikur.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eirikur,

Markus has already mentioned and yes it is possible to have only the SAP_BASIS component at a higher level. Also there are no effects of having uneven SP levels for SAP_BASIS and other components. We already have such ERP system in our test/validation landscapes. However as Markus mentioned - SR3 would bring in additional bug fixes and would be recommended, but of course the implementation is completely at your discretion.

Ideally SPAM would also not show technical prerequisites dependent on any other components for updating SAP_BASIS.

Regards,

Srikishan

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Best thanks for the friendly answers.

Marking as answered.

Rgds, Eirikur.

Answers (0)