cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB compression in SAP MaxDB ala DB2 and Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if SAP MaxDB (7.8) currently offer data compression functionality like DB2 and Oracle do? And if not, are there plans for support this kind of functionality in the near future for SAP MaxDB (7.8 and upwards)? Main goal is to save storage for the DB - especially for DBs larger than 1TB.

As I can see only data compression for backup is being offered - and this is currently even not recommanded (Note 1504667 - SAP MaxDB 7.8: Problems with compressed data backups).

/Kurt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please note that backup compression has been reimplemented starting with MaxDB 7.8.02.

MaxDB 7.8.02 is currently in 'ramp-up' for select customers and if we do not encounter any severe showstoppers, we plan to make it available soon. Also, if anyone wants to join the 7.8.02 testing program, please open a CSS message and we will review your request.

Regarding general data compression, however, I have to say that this currently not high on our priority list and I think the 'alomost finished' was a misunderstanding and meant for the 'backup compression' instead.

Thorsten

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Regarding general data compression, however, I have to say that this currently not high on our priority list and I think the 'alomost finished' was a misunderstanding and meant for the 'backup compression' instead.

I understood this indeed differently.

I remember that there was on one slide the discussion about UTF-8/CESU-8 which would take 1500+ mandays. It was said IIRC that this will not be implemented but some kind of compression instead. I'm now a bit "astonished" that it's now not on the list to be implemented anytime soon. I'll try to find that slide.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We have the same requirement/wish, our main ERP DB on MaxDB is 3,5 TB at the moment.

As I've heard on the last MaxDB Info day the compression is "in development" and almost finished, I'm just not sure whether this will be delivered soon.

Markus