cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11g upgrade conflict

vince_laurent
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I had applied all the 11g patches according to the SAP Note and ran into what is called an online patch. From the Oracle® Database SAP® Bundle Patch 11.2.0.2.0 - 201012 readme: You cannot apply or roll back an online patch if the database is down.

So I do the dbua and get all done and go to apply the patch. opatch gives me this message:

Please shutdown Oracle instances running out of this ORACLE_HOME on the local system.

(Oracle Home = '/oracle/BSN/112_64')

AH! So which is it?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vince_laurent
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I ended up bringing down the database, removing the patch which was never installed, bringing up the database, then doing the online patching.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well this is a joke, the introduced online patches, now you have to run mopatch twice. As you said you wouldn't need deinstalling the online patch, just rerun mopatch after starting the database.

SAP should bundle the offline versions, as long as there is at least one offline patch in the bundle. I cannot see any benefit at the moment, besides the marketing statement, that some fixes are now delivered in "online" fashion.

Cheers Michael

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you upgrade from Oracle 10g to Oracle 11g you can first install only the database software into the new filesystem or folder structure

On unix /oracle/<SID>/11202 and a link 112_64 -> /oracle<SID>/11202 will be made

After installing the software you can apply the bundle patch to this new Oracle installation (make sure your env variables are pointing to new Oracle installation)

The online patches that are in that bundle patch have an offline counterpart in the same bundle patch so you can just apply the bundle patch using MOPatch and you do not need to apply any more patches afterwards when the database is online

Before running DBUA to do the actual upgrade you then need to switch back to env variables of old Oracle installation and shut down SAP + Oracle 10g and the Oracle listener

I do agree the SAP notes and documentation on installing patchsets etc are confusing.