cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Data Governance V/S Master Data Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to kick off discussion on comparing MDG and MDM solution. Which one is the best? Can MDG replace MDM?

Which one is better for an organization MDG or MDM?

Whats is the difference between Embeded MDM and Enterprise MDM?

Can an Organization have both MDG and MDM or is it a overkill?

Once we have MDM will MDG be redundant, vice-versa.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In a nutshell, SAP Master Data Governance is a natural extension of the SAP Business Suite putting a central governance process on top for domain-specific master data creation/maintenance.

SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management is a multi-domain infrastructure for flexible setting up MDM scenarios in heterogeneous landscapes. Both are complementary.

You may read the positioning article and the MDM positioning Webinar to get a clear idea on both concepts (embedded, enterprise) and the underlying software.

See the related information, such as:

- Positioning Presenation and Webinar at [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/elearn?rid=/library/uuid/7069eea9-f2b8-2d10-b399-d4f1cddae313]

- Positioning summary article at [;

- MDM Positioning Blog at [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/19205] [original link is broken];

- Forum Thread at

- Forum Thread at

Regards, Markus

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Q. could anyone please tell me what is the exact scenario of making master data through mdg like we do through mdm

1.from which source mdg takes data and where it stores finally?

2.why mdg really required when we have mdm?

3.is there any separate server or it uses mdm server?

4.what it means that mdg is integrated into ecc?

i5.s there any specific tools for making master data through mdg like we have mdm data manager, mdm import manager?

please friends could you explain me these points by tomorrow. i will really thankful to you..

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

did you browse through the links given by Markus above? They give you very detailed answers to your questions! Short answers are:

1. MDG can take data from any source, SAP Systems like ERP, SRM, CRM, and others as well as third party systems. Basically MDG offers a Web Service that can be implemented by anyone for data exchange. Of course, there are already SAP specific implementations for the mentioned SAP systems that are usable out of the box (only configuration needed). MDG stores its data in common SAP database table (e.g. the business partner is stored in BUT000, the supplier in LFA1, and so on).

2. MDG is strongly integrated into the SAP system landscape. MDM specific issues that occur due to the fact that MDM is based upon a diffrent technology platform do not occur in MDG (e.g. the limitations mentioned for the SAP MDM Business Content). Additionally MDG offers Central Data Maintenance using the SAP workflow out of the box. This is not part of the standard delivery for NW MDM.

3. MDG is based upon the SAP ERP server. It does not use the NW MDM server. You can deploy MDG upon existing ERP systems or place a standalone MDG Hub in you system landscape.

4. see 1-3 above.

5. MDG offers a single User Interface that can be shown either in SAP Portal or NetWeaver Business Client. It combines all the actions starting from workflow, data maintenance, data distribution, and so on in a single UI. There are no client specific tools needed.

Best regards

Michael

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

could any one please tell me these answers as i need it very urgently.

1. MDG can do all work as done by mdm. so will in near future mdg replace mdm?

2. Whether in MDG workflows,data models are integrated?

3. Is mdg can take data from non sap system,if yes then please explain the complete procedure of taking the data and making master data and then replicate process?

4. What do you mean by MDG stores the data in central hub? what is this central hub and where it is actually located?

5. How Business object Data services intergrate with MDG. Explain in detail?

6. What type of extractors are used for file upload and how the process works?

7. How to install MDG means do we need to install separate setup file instead of Installing ECC6.0?

Thanks in advance. Any response is appreciated.

Please send the reply asap.

Edited by: Prateekagarwal on Nov 28, 2011 11:32 AM

Edited by: Prateekagarwal on Jan 24, 2012 9:36 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Can you please re-enter the link? I tried to click on the link in your reply and it doesn't bring me anywhere. It refreshes the screen and then goes back to your post. Thank you.

Regards,

Chester

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Can you please re-enter the link?

Thanks a lot in Advance,

Regards,

DJ

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To be honest, I can't remember which links I provided, then, and why these are no longer available.

But please check the latest SAP Master Data Governance roadmap presentation at http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-33110.

There you can see that SAP MDG also covers consolidation use cases as of release MDG 8.0.

Message was edited by: Markus Ganser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

Below are my views

>>Which one is the best?

Both serve different purpose, MDM is more suited for heterogeneous environment. MDG on the other hand is more SAP ERP centric.

>>Can MDG replace MDM?

Atleast not in the near future.

>>Which one is better for an organization MDG or MDM?

Depends upon what is the system ladscape of an organization and where does the master data lies.

>>Whats is the difference between Embeded MDM and Enterprise MDM?

Same as 1st

>>Can an Organization have both MDG and MDM or is it a overkill?

Yes, they can have both

>>Once we have MDM will MDG be redundant, vice-versa

No, it won't be.

All my inputs are as per the current set up and SAP Roadmap

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK.

What about enrichment? Can MDG store PDF, Images, Multimedia Objects etc? Can MDG store Relationships, Categories, Hierarchy, Attributes etc.

I think MDG does not support these functionalities.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SudhaViz

Better asking that question SAP Guys.

I think if you already have MDG for ERP don't make sense to buy SAP MDM.

According MDM it has many additional functionality for publishing, BPM, Web services ,

Regards

Kanstantsin Chernichenka