cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection Plan Assignment for a Material

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a requireent and am unable to find a solution. Let me explain the scenario in detail.

The product over here has three dimensional factors Thickness,Width,Length. But the Material Code is created considering only Thickness bcoz if we consider width and length, the no of material codes will enter into lakhs as there are so many variants.

So now lets consider a simple example a plate for thickness 2.1 is created with material code M1. Now this has to more variants of width w1 and w2. Now when i create inspection plan, i can create with respect to M1 material code only.Each width has it own tolerance limit also.so how do i maintain specification limit for width as there are n number of variants.

If i create multiple inspection plan, then system wont assign the plan automatically. Selection of inspection plan manually will be impossible as there will be 100 inspection lots created daily. Can somone give some idea??any development logic atleast.

I need to consider width and length specification or else at results recording system wont propose a valuation.But how to maintain different specifications and assign the plan automatically

Please share your inputs....

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can not really visualise how big this scenario will be but just to help you in picking correct inspection plan-->

you can use User exit QPAP0002 Enhancement for material/plan assignment, plan selection |

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit,

I do understand the volume is not understood, even am thinking of using an exit to assign but couldn find the logic in which system can assign.

For example lets take a plate is being produced of 12 mm thickness with a material code M1

Also M1 can be produced in multiple Widh, lets take for example 200mm, 250mm,300mm. So everytime when production confirms an inspection lot is created and inspection plan is assigned. But now 200mm width plate will have different tolerance limit and same with 250 and 300

Now if i create 3 inspection plan for the same material code M1 how will syatem assign inspection plan based on knowing what width plate is produced. This is a very simple example.In real time M1 material code will have around 30-40 varities of variants with respect to width and length.

Could you put somelight now

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A lot of this depends. Are your orders driven by sales orders? I.e. You don't schedule to make a particular size plate unless an order has been placed? If so, this is would be a standard variant config scenario. You have one material for each thickness and at the time the sales order is placed you use variant config to allow the input of the width and length values. These are than transferred to the 04 inspection lot. In the inspection type setup you set inspect by var. config instead of task list or material spec. This is referred to a make to order scenario and you should be able to find a lot of help on the Internet and in SAP help if you search on SAP and "make to order"

If you don't make to order, you could use use one inspection plan put have some edit the inspection lot after it is created and manually add the width and length as additional unplanned charactereistics. You could use early release of the inspection lot and train the planner to add the requirements.

You could try a combination of the two. Have two material numbers set up. One for variant config and one for make to inventory. Train your customer service people to use the make to order process when no inventory exists, and then train the planner to use the make to inventory process to fill in production as needed to build certain inventory stocks.

I think these would be the first two approaches I would try.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Firefighter,

Thanks for your input....It Has thrown somelight for me....Actually here for someplants we will carry make to order scenario and there it will be variant config scenario where as some plants it is make to stock since they always get orders of plates with certain width regularily.

1) If it is variant config and MTO....could you provide me somemore inputs or document of how QM will act with variant config scenario...i willalso explore the same now since am having time constraint it would be great if u could provide some docs...Another doubt i have is if i dont select Insp by Task List or material specification...there are many other MIC's which are constant apart from width and length...how can i maintain that...sale order batch characteristics will only have certain characteristics but generally my inspection plan will have many ore tests to do also...Is it possible to maintain inspection plan and Insp by Configuration in material master?? Could you provide the steps to try this scenario??

2) MTS scenario....adding MIC's manually in the inspecton lot would be highly impossible bcoz in a day they produce around 100-200 plates and adding manually in each inspection lot will be hectic...Can anything else be done in this scenario??

Thanks

JR

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1). To be honest, I've never had a client that did a MTO process. I only know what little I do from playing around with it and what little bit is taught about it in the SAP courses I've taught. So I do t have any guides or docs that would help. I do believe you can inspect with a task list. But in vc you can specify the other characteristics and their values as well. You just don't give the CSR's the ability to change those in the order.

2) I'm not sure what else I got for you in the MTS. I know you say you have a lot of lots to be updated but where is that information now? Someone is tracking and writing down those widths and lengths now in your business in order to make the plates. It might be on handwritten docs, or a note in the order, but it has to be done now. Why would putting the info in the lots be any different? Eliminate the other process. What I might try to do is create a custom transaction to do this.

Set up the insp plan with the characteristics and a general, spec, maybe the max for the test. (0 - 5000). Have the transaction list only the lots with these wide open specs and display them in a table format. Then the planner goes straight down the list and update the two characteristics. For those that he changes, you then update the QAMV table with the new specs.

FF