cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII Upgrade from 12.1.0 to 12.1.X

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm planning the activity of upgrading MII from 12.1.0 to 12.1.X (latest 12.1 available) and I was trying to collect the biggest quantity of infos, to avoid any surpise. I think many persons already did it, but I wasn't able to find any post on this topic/forum, fully clarifing any possible doubt. And this is what I'm trying to do here...basically asking you and collecting infos...

Upgrade Overview

What I understood, reading around, is that this kind of "upgrade" isn't really a "release change", but more an application of Support Packages, to bring the v12.1 to the latest solution available. This means that it should be pretty easy to perform it.

Anyway everyone should read carefully the whole guides and notes available, evaluating the benefits (in my opinion it's almost mandatory to fix every bug), applying it on QA environment, testing and moving to PROD (apply there again).

We would have different impacts if it was a real release change, like 11.5 to 12.1...

Basically we will have to pass:

from

NW: SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 EHP1

MII: Ramp up Knowledge Transfer release (12.1.0 build 201)

to

NW: SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 EHP1 SP05

MII: General Availability release 12.1.7 (or 12.1.8)

Where to find necessary files and documents

I saw there are two sections where to find useful files...

from the SAP Service Marketplace --> Software Downloads --> Installation and Upgrades

or

from the SAP Service Marketplace --> Software Downloads --> Support Packages and Patches

Following my previous idea, I would look for the second path, considering I should simply patch my system and not migrating to a newer release.

After downloading NetWeaver Support Packages Stack from ISS to SP05 (after selecting every necessary item and caractheristic of the stack), we should find (always under the second path mentioned above), a list of available SPs and their patches of MII. Probably the best idea it would be to use last SP (today 08) and its patch (just one at the moment).

Does it mean after patching we'll have v12.1.8 ?

Reading note 0001537813 linked to MII SP08 I found:

"The MII Security Guide and Upgrade Guide have been updated for MII 12.1

SP08. Both guides contain important new information for SP08. Be sure to

completely read and understand both guides as well as this note prior to

upgrading MII 12.1 to SP08; failure to do so could cause MII behave in an

unexpected manner."

Unfortunately:

from the SAP Service Marketplace --> Release & Upgrade Info --> Installation & Upgrade Guides

there is only "SAP xMII 12.0" section and if I look at the list of available docs

Upgrade Master Guide SAP xMII 12.0 is showing version=0006 changed=24/11/2010, but if I download it, doc is saying

Document Version 1.3 - February 2009, not speaking of SP08

(Component) Upgrade Guide is showing version=0006 changed=24/11/2010, but if I download it, doc is saying

Document version: 1.3 u2013 February 2008, not speaking of SP08

Are these documents not really updated, or it is missing a full section (referring to 12.1), or these docs have to be used only for what I called "Release Change"?

I found some reference to SPs implementation in the Solution Operation Manual (unfortunately 12.0) @ 6.1.4

which considering "differences of versions" brought me here --> https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-100949

Is it the right approach to use Java Support Package Manager to implement support packages both of NetWeaver and MII ?

Is there a guide really supporting these implementations? Where is it?

Upgrade steps

Necessary in case of missing guide

Best Regards and tnx for collaboration.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ottantaphoenix,

Have a look at the 12.1 install guides on [http://service.sap.com/instguides] -> SAP Business Suite Applications -> SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence -> SAP MII 12.1. These guides should be helpful

Kind Regards,

Diana Hoppe

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Upgrade Overview

What I understood is that this kind of upgrade isn't a "ReleaseChange", but an application of SupportPackages, to bring the v12.1 to the latest solution available.It should be pretty easy to perform it.

Anyway, everyone should read guides and notes available, evaluating the benefits (in my opinion it's almost mandatory to fix every bug) and implement it. We would have different impacts if it was a real release change, like 11.5 to 12.1...

So, we will have to pass:

from

NW: SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 EHP1

MII: Ramp up Knowledge Transfer release (12.1.0 build 201)

to

NW: SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 EHP1 SP05

MII: General Availability release 12.1.7 (or 12.1.8)

1-Can we say this activity is a "simple" implementation of SPs to NetWeaver and MII?

Where to find files and documents

IMPLEMENTATION

There are two sections where to find useful files from the SAP Service Marketplace...

--> Software Downloads --> Installation and Upgrades

or

--> Software Downloads --> Support Packages and Patches

Following my previous idea, I would look for the second path, considering I should simply patch my system and not migrating to a newer release. After downloading NetWeaver Support Packages Stack from ISS to SP05, we should find (always under the second path mentioned above), a list of available SPs and their patches of MII. Probably the best idea it would be to use last SP (today 08) and its patch (just one at the moment).

2-Does it mean after patching we'll have v12.1.8? Is there link between SPXX implemented and final MII version?

GUIDES

Reading note 0001537813 linked to MII SP08 I found:

"The MII Security Guide and Upgrade Guide have been updated for MII 12.1

SP08. Both guides contain important new information for SP08. Be sure to

completely read and understand both guides as well as this note prior to

upgrading MII 12.1 to SP08; failure to do so could cause MII behave in an

unexpected manner."

The path to be followed it seems to be:

from the SAP Service Marketplace --> Release & Upgrade Info --> Installation & Upgrade Guides --> SAP Business Suite Applications --> SAP Manufactoring --> SAP Manufactoring Integration and Intelligence --> SAP MII 12.1

Here there are docs related to v12.1 (old path was wrong 'cause probably it's not considered anymore an xApp)

Upgrade Master Guide SAP xMII 12.1

This document describes the migration from SAP xApp Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP

xMII) 11.5 and 12.0 to SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) 12.1 on Windows and

UNIX. The document also describes the upgrade from SAP xMII 12.0 to SAP MII 12.1, which includes the

upgrade from SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 including

enhancement package 1 SP03 for the usage type Application Server Java (AS Java).

(Component) Upgrade Guide SAP xMII 12.1

This document describes the migration from SAP xApp Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP

xMII) 11.5 and 12.0 to SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) 12.1 on Windows and

UNIX.The document also describes the upgrade from SAP xMII 12.0 to SAP MII 12.1, which includes the

upgrade from SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 including

enhancement package 1 SP03 for the usage type Application Server Java (AS Java).

Install Guide SAP xMII 12.1

This guide describes the steps required to install SAP Manufacturing Integration and

Intelligence (SAP MII) 12.1. It specifies the sequence of the installation activities and their

dependencies.

3- Is there a guide reference to upgrade from 12.1.0 to 12.1.X No ones of previous docs are treating that topic?

Once again, I found some reference to SPs implementation in the Application Operation Guide @ 6.1.5

6.1.5 Support Packages and Patch

Implementation

SAP recommends implementing Support Package Stacks (SP-Stacks), which are sets of Support

Packages and patches for the respective product version that must be used in the given

combination.

You can find detailed information about the availability of SP-Stacks for SAP MII on the SAP

Service Marketplace at http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks.

For more information about the implementation of support packages and possible issues, see

http://service.sap.com/patches SAP Support Packages in Detail.

For information about the tools necessary for implementing patches, see Software Life-Cycle

Management in the SAP NetWeaver CE Library on the SAP Help Portal at

http://help.sap.com/nwce SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment Library.

...which brought me here --> https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-100949

4-Is it the right approach to use JavaSupportPackageManager to do this activity?

Upgrade steps

1. upgrade/patch NW CE 7.1 EHP1 to NW CE EHP1 SP05.

2. upgrade/patch MII to version 12.1.8. This will include all previous patches and SPs.

5-How to perform this two steps?

erik_schrampf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

1. Yes I would say this is a simple upgrade/patch of MII and NW. I believe the hardest part will be finding all the sca files :). MII will only have one sca that will need to be deployed. I am not sure how many NW requires.

2. Yes after deploying the one MII sca file you will have MII SP8 Patch ? (depending on if you deployed a patch for a SP). MII SP8 requires NW CE EHP1 SP5 or greater due to security updates to NW.

3. Not really b/c it is a simple patch of the MII and NW application. Now that doesn't mean not to retest your application as a lot has changed in MII I know since 12.1.0 to now.

4. Yes you can either use JSPM or the CE Update Tool which is new to NW CE 7.1.

5. Not really sure what you mean about this question. You would first put your NW sca files into your inbox with JSPM/CEUpdateTool reads then you will run the tool to upgrade NW. Then do the same thing with the MII sca file.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. so I can say I have almost done

MII: SP08 (2 files, .SCA and another file of 1 KB)

SP08 Patch (2 files, .SCA and another file of 1 KB)

NW: there are more files according to the list of components you have to upgrade (and installed at the beginning) but the logic is absolutely similar to MII (2 files for every upgrade, .SCA and 1KB one)

Does anyone know which is the list of "mandatory" NetWeaver components to have MII running? (not only after upgrade, but also after initial installation)

I think only AS Java is mandatory (Developer Studio and other Additional Capabilities are up to the usage), but I'm not sure.

3. Of course everything needs to be carefully tested, but with the big amount of guides, docs and words on MII and NW it seemed to me strange not to mention about it somewhere. You can guess/try it, but following the planning logic you expect to find something before starting.

Are there any differences in terms of steps, duration or final results?

everything helps, always

erik_schrampf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Here are some answers to your questions.

1. I would first upgrade/patch NW CE 7.1 EHP1 to NW CE EHP1 SP05.

2. After the NW upgrade is done I would upgrade/patch MII to version 12.1.8. This will include all previous patches and SPs.

Note: I would not try to do the MII and NW upgrade at the same time.