cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Argument: DB/CI on one OS, DI on different OS?

0 Kudos

Fellow Basis Geeks. When I repeatedly stated I have run a CI on one OS and an additional DI on Windows Server, the response was u201CI donu2019t believe you.u201D

Evidence for my case: Note 608617 (as well as my own personal experience).

Evidence presented against my case: Notes 1067221, 1148109, 1112809. A quote highlighted is "The SAP Kernel patch level must be identical on all concurrently running platforms within on SAP system... These are automatically distributed to the Windows application server(s) the next time you start the SAP system. This is called the SAPCPE processu201D. This quote was followed by the remark u201CThere is absolutely no way then this directory when referenced, can UNIX binaries be copied to a Windows platform.u201D

This quote and the remark demonstrate, in my opinion, a misunderstanding of the differences between kernel patch levels and platform-dependent binary versions as well as the actual purpose of SAPCPE.

Ironically, I think the mentioned OSS notes actually support my case.

So, please help with your own comments and, especially, actual experience of doing this. By the way, my experience was solely with the ABAP stack but it appears this is also supported for the JAVA stack now, at least for the combination Iu2019m interested in today (SCS/CI on AIX and DI on Windows Server). This is stated in the PDF attached to note 1067221.

Thanks,

Alan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Thanks geeks. I'll close this now.

Alan.

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Haven't been associated with any heterogeneous Java systems, but i have been associated with couple heterogeneous ABAP systems for different clients like Sun-Windows and AIX-Windows combination. Haven't seen any major issue , apart from standard maintenace overhead which comes with every heterogeneous environment. But as Juan mentioned definately Unix-Unix heterogeneous combination are more popular, normally i have observed the induction of windows in the mix is driven by the business process need.

Regards,

Neel

0 Kudos

Thanks Neel. I'm not talking heterogeneous with DB on one platform and CI/DI on another. It's specifically DB/CI on one and DI on a different one. That was your experience?

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

2 examples ....

DB on AIX , CI on AIX and DI on both windows & AIX

DB on Tru64 , CI on Tru64 and DI on windows & Tru64

Regards,

Neel

0 Kudos

Excellent. Thanks Neel.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alan

We have HP/UX DB/CI and Linux Redhat DI running which works fine as far as I've seen.

Just keep in mind the kernel levels should be the same to avoid weird effects (the platform is of course different so the kernel is different). You can patch both kernels through a single run of JSPM (all kernel files have to be in EPS/in).

Be sure to have another environment other than production which has the same setup so you have a way to test kernel updates or OS specific updates without having to directly perform those actions on a productive platform.

Kind regards

Tom

0 Kudos

Thanks Tom.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think Note 608617 doesn't have anything to do with an heterogeneous environment.

Maybe a typo?...

In anycase I don't understand what sort of comments are you looking for

Regards

Juan

0 Kudos

Oops! The correct note is 680617. And thanks for the mild scolding.... Let me clarify the questions.

1. Does your interpretation of the notes agree or disagree with the assertion that SAP supports a DB/CI on one platform type (e.g. AIX) with the DI instances on a different platform type, more specifically Windows Server?

2. Have you got a running, productive installation with a DB/CI on a flavor of Unix and the DI instances on Windows Server?

Thanks,

Alan.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. I think it does, clearly startes the paths for the kernel distribution subject to the platform. Also cover the area of filesharing via SAMBA.

2. Not now, but I did support a similar environment without mayor inconvinients. This days is more usual to see AIX/Linux or HPUX/Linux heterogeneous combos as Linux is as cost effective (and friendlier/faster) as windows was on the days that you could only run windows DI in cheap Intel boxes.

Thats my 2 cents.

Regards

Juan

0 Kudos

Thanks Juan. Points awarded but keeping the question open if that's okay with everyone.