cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW OLAP and Relational DB - Supported in Information Design Tool (4.0)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I plan to attempt this in a test environment but there are few questions I am looking to clarify or get input on concerning the use of multiple sources in 4.0:

1. is it possible to use a OLAP source (BW) with a relational source (SQL Server) in the same universe or is this a situation where one must decide to use an OLAP source or relational source? Can they be combined for use in a single universe?

2. Is it possible to use two OLAP sources (e.g. BW and MS-SSAS) in the same universe or are you limited to a single data source where OLAP is concerned?

3. If it is necessary in situation #1 to utilize a relational structure to connect to multiple sources, are there any caveats/"gotcha's" we should be aware when including BW data with other data sources?

Thanks for any info anyone is able to provide.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. is it possible to use a OLAP source (BW) with a relational source (SQL Server) in the same universe or is this a situation where one must decide to use an OLAP source or relational source? Can they be combined for use in a single universe?

>> The multi-source approach is exposing the underlying star schema from SAP BW and therefore some of the multi-dimensional concepts like hierarchies are lost.

2. Is it possible to use two OLAP sources (e.g. BW and MS-SSAS) in the same universe or are you limited to a single data source where OLAP is concerned?

>> thats why it is called Multi-Source =:)

3. If it is necessary in situation #1 to utilize a relational structure to connect to multiple sources, are there any caveats/"gotcha's" we should be aware when including BW data with other data sources?

>> yes - as you will lose some of the multi-dimensional concepts like hierarchies.

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> The multi-source approach is exposing the underlying star schema from SAP BW and therefore some of the multi-dimensional concepts like hierarchies are lost.

Hello Ingo,

I have the same issue. I want to merge data from SQL and BW. I created 2 connections 1. OLAP and 2. Rleational. Whne I created data foundation it only shows me SQL connection. i select and then it only gives me SQL connection tables to choose from so my question is how do I choose fields from BW side and create joins? thanks.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did get answers to these questions from a reliable source. Here they are for the benefit of others.

In order to use multiple sources in the same universe the structure will need to be relational.

You are limted to a single OLAP source in a universe, but you can consume two of these universes in a report.

When you use BW in a multi-source situation, the data will be flattened to a star schema for use in a relational structure