local client copy for huge clients

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

I have a scenario where in my customer wants below

1. local client copy on 2 system which are quality

it has 100 client and want to copy all data of 100 to a newly creatd client 300

2. But the size of client in one system is 800 GB and another system has 1.5 TB

On system with 1.5 TB ,they are running archiving but now I am concerned with 800 GB system

I have done upto 100 GB local client copy but not his huge

Please let me know

1. is that possible to execute

2. i know it may take some days to complete ,but let me know all ways how I can speed up the process on SAP ,oracle ,hardware

level

I already know update stats and parrallel process option

3. are there other ways to speed up

4. let me know any steps which can be considered as best practice in such cases

Thanks a ton in advance

Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to use the TDMS and copy the data that the user really needs.

TDMS is a SAP product and it works like SARA (archiving).

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all suggetions

I will try to implement what all with customer

Ganesh

0 Kudos

Ganesh, I know you marked this as answered, but I hope you don't mind if I add a bit to the conversation.

As Venkatesh showed, the required downtime might turn out to be unacceptably long. What's the chance you can create a different instance, even on the same server if resources are limited? The option you then have is to export the original database and import it into a new DB instance. Why export/import? Because that will usually reduce the size of the database, sometimes by quite a bit. You can use sysinst to do this or, if supported by SAP, use the DBMSs export/import. Export is often pretty fast, so downtime for the source system would be considerably less. Import will take some time, but at least the source system will be available.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best option I can suggest is to perform system copy rather than client copy. Which should be faster as you are restoring from backup, I think it should not take more than a day including your post refresh activity. Check with your team who requested for client copy when can they accept system refresh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

Thanks a ton

The reason for such copy is they want another client in same system for some integration work

Creating new system with system copy is not possible as same system is required as far as possible

This answers are helpful ..@Alan :do you see any other thing than this ?

Thanks

-Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will tell you my experience of local client copy of 1TB when we wanted to test how it behaved. It took about 2 days and then we had to cancel it halfway as one of tables was going in very slowly and had to create indices on that and then resume. So it all depends upon your situation but be aware of all the consequences and any situations like the one we faced

0 Kudos

Michael's point 4 should be taken seriously. But this whole scenario sounds like it needs some thought.

You say this is the QA box. You do realise that the source client (100) will be out of bounds for the entire duration of the client copy? That's possibly a few days without that client. I hope you have another one...

What's the business reason for the new client? Training? Sandpit? Perhaps if you explain the reason we can assist with an alternative approach.

Regards,

Alan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. yes, but see 4.

2. deactivate archiving, get faster disks, get more memory and extend the buffer cache, extend the size of the online redo logs, add more application servers. But to really speed up the copy, you will need to analyze the system for bottlenecks and eliminate them. If for example a simple table like CE41000 takes over 100hrs, then it could be helpful to either create a dedicated index or the like.

3. see 2.

4. best practice is to NOT copy such large clients, basically you double the amount of junk data in the system, just because folks are to lazy to clean up. Your database will never be the same again, only a full reorg will reduce the size after the client deletion.

These notes might need to be read

[489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/489690]

[446485 - CC-ADMIN: Special copying options|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/446485]

Good luck, Michael