Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Transfer

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm transferring multilevel BOMs to my project structure using CN33.

In most cases we purchase each of the item individually.

But there is some BOMs which we buy as a unique item, so in the project structure we'd have enough with transferring the header (the BOM could explode at the purchase order document).

Is it possible? I guess I must inform in the material master record which kind of bom is it?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are procuring whole assembly from out side (external procurement) then I think no need to create any BOM for that.

Tnx.

Abdul.

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand your position.

But despite we are talking about external procurement we need the boom detail, in a future we could need to buy just one of the items as a spare part.

I don't know if this example is going to convinced you about our requirement, but we needed this way.

thanks.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I didnt understand your question completely.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Forman,

that is the reason why, after BOM transfer, for individual items, we need to control with the "item category" which should be enabled to be changed in the Project (dont maintain default procurement indicator in the Network Profile).

Options -

1. Dont maintain default procurement indicator in the Network Profile AND / OR Make use of "filed selection - BOM transfer" config node & set your item category as mandatory field.

Disadvantage :- every time user needs to enter item category for every component.

2. Maintain a BOM such that you define each component twice. (once with item cat "L" & once with "N").

Dynamically maintain reference points just before BOM transfer as per your requirement & do BOM transfer.

This point closely meets your requirement of sometimes selecting the same item as L & sometimes as N.

regards

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, I'm far away from being an expert and I'm a bit lost with your explanation.

As far as I know the L and N item categories define whether the components are or not stock items. And if I'm not wrong they determine the procurement type. Am I right?

What I was looking for is a way of configuring the BOM in order to control if it should get exploded or not while BOM transfer. Maybe it's just impossible, all BOMs must explode and try to find a reference point for each item, do they?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can handle this using BOM transfer profile. Eg if you want only headers or selective components to be transfered you can can use eg. cost relevancy tick in BOM transfer profile.

So all those BOm items which donot have this tick will not be relevant for BOM transfer.

Let me know if this help you.

BR

Anjali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Forman,

Ok. A bit distracted explanation.

Your requirement -

You have a material with BOM. For the material, both procurements are possible (in house / external proc) based on situation.

If the material needs to be produced in house, you need BOM transfer.

If the total structure can be procured from outside, you dont need BOM transfer.

:-

1. Make use of Transfer profiles

2. Create a user status for your activities. For example, "no bom transfer". assign only headers to these activities.

restrict your selection in CN33 via status selection profiles for activities.

regards

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi krisap,

I'm sorry I might have not been enough clear about my requirements, really sorry.

Maybe I should post my question in MM forum, I don't know... The problem is that we have different BOMs we buy some as a unique components and others we buy them item by item (and we do the assembly). So I don't think users status will help us.

Maybe I was wrong but I though there might be some parameter on the BOM definition or at the material master record where I would be able to define whether the BOM in question should get exploded or not.

And in reference to your answer, how I should set the Transfer Profile in order to only get transferred the header? That would be interesting.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Forman,

Field "Explosion Level" in the Constraints sub tab of Profile for BOM transfer detail screen.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure what you're exact need is.

But in material master if you maintain the procurement key as 'F' for a material, then even if this material contains a BOM, the same is not exploded when your entering the top most assembly level material.

So in short, the during BOM transfer only make materials which have a reference point & a purchase part whose parent is a make material are exploded.

As you might know, if you want an entire list you can flag the 'All Items' indicator in the transfer profile & then make choice as per your need.

I guess you just need to spend some time with CN33 to get it working, good luck

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If want to add to the project a BOM which I need to buy as a whole, only the header should be assigned to the project structure and using "Explosion Level" won't help me. I have no idea of how to transfer the header using CN33 (Transfer button won't help me as I don't want an assembly item with -ve quantiy).

And procurement type "F" is not the answer either. I'm transferring a BOM which the header material has procurement type "F" and the BOM is being exploded while I transfer it to the project.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you upload a screenshot of the BOM with the proc. keys to some portal n paste link here?

Or better still make a simple diagram as below n let us know what you're trying to transfer

Parent Z (Proc Key - E)
|
|- L1 Child A (Proc Key - E, Ref Pt. 1)
|       |
|       |- L2 Child A1 (Proc Key - F)  
|       |- L2 Child A2 (Proc Key - F)  
|
|- L1 Child B (Proc Key - F, Ref Pt. - 2)
|       |
|       |- L2 Child B1 (Proc Key - F, Ref Pt. - 3)  
|       |- L2 Child B2 (Proc Key - F)

So in the above which one are you transferring to the project?

If you are entering Z & doing the transfer, then only A & B will be transfered not B1, but if you're entering B in CN33, then it will explode the BOM, but I wonder why you want to do that, instead you can simply specify the material in the component list.

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

If I check on the transfer profile "Multilevel" all items should be transferred, shouldn't they? (A, B, A1, A2, B1 and B2)

In my scenario we find two possible situations:

1.Item A1 and A2 must be transferred, A must not. PR we'll be generated for A1 and A2.

2.Item B must be transferred, B1 and B2 must not. PR we'll be generated for B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, a tick on multilevel indicates the BOM explosion will be done multi-level, but when you look at the results page only those parts which have a reference point show up. If its a perfect match, it goes to results page, else to allocation page.

For the 1st scenario you mention, maintain ref. points for A1 & A2 & not for A (if it is not required to be transferred). 2nd scenario as per my previous posting. With that as the setup do the transfer with multilevel & prelim indicators ticked in your profile.

I would suggest perform the steps in your sandbox & if you face a specific issue, then revert with details.