cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous System copy on the same hardware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I have an ECC EHP4/NW7.01 on Windows/SQL Server and I want to copy it on the same server, i mean, i want to have two systems (different SSIDs) running on the same server, but one copy of the other.

I have made an SQL server full backup of the source database, but I don't know what to do now with, do i have to restore on a new database??? How?? do I need to create a new database instance??

The idea is to make a system copy with sapinst using the backup, but i'm a little confused with the steps.

Thanks!

Fran

Edited by: Francisco Manuel Canovas Pedreño on Feb 8, 2011 12:22 PM

Edited by: Francisco Manuel Canovas Pedreño on Feb 8, 2011 12:23 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Read the system copy guides and follow them. The procedure is the same as if you were on another system. You just have to make sure you use a different SID and a different instance number.

You will also need to reconfigure the first instance so that not all memory is used.

http://service.sap.com/instguides

--> SAP NetWeaver

--> SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s)

--> Installation

Check on the bottom of the page the appropriate "system copy guide".

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus!

I have already read all guides, there is no indication on how to do this, just says do a backup and then restore on the target and use sapinst to install the new system. That's clear, and I know what to do, technically, but what I do not know is how or when to restore the backup...sapinst does it for me?? do I need to restore by myself? do i have to create a new database, new instance?? what??

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have already read all guides, there is no indication on how to do this, just says do a backup and then restore on the target and use sapinst to install the new system. That's clear, and I know what to do, technically, but what I do not know is how or when to restore the backup...

How would you restore a backup on a new system - e. g. if you server would fail and you would do a disaster recovery?

> sapinst does it for me?? do I need to restore by myself? do i have to create a new database, new instance?? what??

You will use SQL Server Management Studio to restore the database with a new SID. After that you run sapinst which will adapt the users/owners and the permissions and install a SAP kernel.

An easier way to do those kind of copies - if you can shut down the original database - is using

Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

So you don't need to restore the database from a backup. However, this works only if you're able to shut down the source database for the time the copy process is running.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's it! You got it! Thanks a lot, that note is what I was looking for.

Once I restored a backup just for test it on a new server, I installed database software and restored the backup with SQL Studio....that was easy, but now, I have to do it on the same server, it's a production system, so i had doubts on the procedure. I can't shut down the producion system so I have to use a backup.

I really appreciate your help, you really helped me, thank you very very much!

Fran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus, I can't give you points....an error occurs when I try, sorry!

message from Eric Brunelle... I gave 10 points to Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again!

I have done a test of a system copy in other computer and it all went fine, thanks!

But now I'm facing a new doubt. In our company, we have a 2-system landscape, DEV and PRD, but we are working on the system together with another organization of the same company. Now, they want me to "split" the systems, making a copy of the two systems. In other words, they want to completely split the systems, running on the same server, development server will have 2 systems, DEV and DEV' and so on in production server.

The doubt is in developments, as I don't know how to face the CTS and TMS setup to provide 2 different development environments, without losing the actual change requests. As you know, I have to change the SID, because the copy will be in the same server, so what happends with change requests?? Do I have to make a copy of DIR_TRANS and set up a new DIR_TRANS for the new systems???

Thank you in advance!

Fran.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Francisco, please start a new topic as this is a new question.

Answers (0)