cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry on migrating from Oracle 10.2g to Oracle 11.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have inquiry with regards to the new Oracle version released for SAP.

I am thinking of doing a fresh installation of Oracle 11.2 then "move/migrate" the data from the Old database to the new database instead of following the upgrade path.

In this mindset, is it possible to "move" the data from the old database to the new database? If yes, any suggestion or concepts? Or is client copy (within SAP system) the only possible way?

I've read around and notice that most members performs upgrades from 10.2g to 11.2. One advantage is that by doing so, the data remain within the database and there is no need to "move" the database.

But wont the database structure be unstable because of the different style/method use? One of my worry is that by upgrading, it might not be as stable compare to a clean installation; it might also leave alot of "junk" behinds that no longer needed by the Oracle 11.2

Thank you.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your question itself having the answer, Clustering is there in Oracle 11R but not in 10G.

It doesn't impacts any structure of database in both the versions (If any internal, DBUA will take care of).

Regards,

Nick Loy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I strongly suggest you to go thorugh the standard Inst/Upgrade guide.

Regards,

NIck Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the information.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are wrong,

Oracle upgrade from 10g to 11R2 is possible and that is a recommended way to upgrade your Database.

No need to worry on conversation part, as DBUA can take care of all the conversations etc if any.

This is a simplest method compare to your scenario what you mentioned above.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the updates.

A quick question: would the structure be affected as Oracle 10g doesnt have database clustering, but Oracle 11g support database clusteriing?

Thank you.