Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Reorder Point values in DP Book with Macrobuilder

bill_ghere
Discoverer
0 Kudos

All,

I am new to building DP Books but I am comfortable with most of the process. Currently I am struggling with writing macros that are more complex than a single level.

What I am trying to do build a DP book that calculates Reorder Point values for all materials, and alerts that let's the planner know whether or not it is a viable candidate to utilize ROP. I am struggling with the calculation and building the macros needed, specifically getting the Z Value (Inverse Normal Distribution) and the Lead Time Demand.

Issue with the Z Value is that APO does not have a function for this (like MS Excel's 'InvsNorms'). We have found an approximation calculation that should be close enough, but it is fairly complex and is a bit daunting.

[Link to Inverse Norm approximation|http://home.online.no/~pjacklam/notes/invnorm/]

Issue with the Lead Time Demand is that I don't know how to build the Macro correctly. I have one built but it has some structural issues and the error messages are difficult at best to intemperate, in order to know how to resolve. What I planned on doing was to round the lead time of the component divided by 28 days to get and integer representing the number or periods to grab from the statisical forecast generated in the DP book. I know what I want to do but I'm just not sure how to put it together.

I'm a little bit suprized that a ROP calculation is not included as a function withing APO somewhere, I'd like some insight on any of the above, especially if I can simplify my design

Thanks!

Bill

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

bill_ghere
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I'm building this book to help some of the planners understand what materials should be on ROP and to compare their current ROP values against the calculated ROP. I'm wanting to set alerts to let them know when they have setting that deviated from calculations. There is probably an easier way to do this, say for instance MS Excel. But I figured if I can get this to work, I could tackle just about anything we'd need.

It looks like the functions only return the populated values from the material master. I may have missed some others that do?

REORDER_CALC()

REORDER_DAYS()

Only return the populated values from the material master.

I'll keep working at it and post a solution if I get it to work.

Edited by: gherwilm on Feb 9, 2011 7:48 PM

bill_ghere
Discoverer
0 Kudos

DB49,

I said I was new to macros, not SAP. I understand that different modules perform different tasks within the enterprise.

I am also aware of the ROP place holder in the material master that accepts an externally calculated Reorder Point value. My question was more directed to finding a function or application that will help calculate the value withing SAP or APO.

You mentioned that I didn't look very far, but did not supply the location of this function. I'd appreciate helpful comments, thanks!

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bill,

I did not intend to disparage you knowledge, only to point out that you are performing a task in DP, and that Reorder Point functionality is not normally managed in DP. You won't be working with 'standard' stuff here, everything you create will need to be created and validated by you and your team.

but did not supply the location of this function.

I thought we were talking about Macros, no? These functions listed in the help doc I mentioned are standard functions supplied by SAP, and are available to for use in Macros.

Several of the functions normally used in the SNP PB environment (that exist in the link I highlighted earlier) deal with Reorder point. Use them as you wish in your macros. It is also possible to write custom functions if necessary. Talk to your developer.

If you are unfamiliar with how to build Macros, using functions, check online help. Teaching the subject 'Macro building using functions' is beyond the scope of an online forum.

If you are determined to learn this subject without being trained, every function available in SCM is used in an example in the as-delivered SAP Macro Books. /SAPAPO/ADVM > Don't highlight any book, hit Tools > Where used > Select Macro function, put the name of the function that interests you > Continue. It will highlight the existing macro(s) that uses that function.

Best Regards & Good Luck,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bill,

I'm a little bit suprised that a ROP calculation is not included as a function within APO somewhere

????? I guess you didn't look very far.

Demand planning is optimized for - planning Demand. As you have evidently discovered, you can bring in just about any data, and perform just about any calculation in DP, provided you have enough time and skill. However, Reorder Point planning mostly unrelated to Demand planning, it has to do more in common with Supply planning, or more specifically, determining when and how to create supply elements (procurement proposals).

APO has SNP and PP/DS modules which are the standard method used to execute Supply planning. Both of these modules support Reorder Point Planning, among other planning methods. Natively.

I guess if you feel compelled to create some arcane macros, knock yourself out. I'd love to see them. Check out some of these functions. http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/EN/77/9aa339a28e0554e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Best Regards,

DB49