cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCM P & F - Approval step not triggering check event

0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have implemented a HCM Process and Forms with 3 scenario stages - Initiate, Approval and final_approval. The person in the final_approval step need to fill some form values and approve. I had written code to validate these entries based on the form scenario stage. but unfortunately even if the values are not filled and if the person clicks the approve button, the form is getting approved. how to trigger the check event even if the person does not do any changes in the form and validate field values.

Please advise the way to trigger the DO_OPERATIONS of my service when the 'Approve' button is clicked and not to allow the person to submit without filling these values.

Thanks,

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijay.

Reading between all of the negative posts, I hope you got the understanding of how the P&F Framework works. Via the workflow, you control whether the step will show the Approve/Reject buttons or the Check/Check&Send buttons. If you use the WF task that does the 'approval', it will not trigger the DO_OPERATIONS and no amount of JavaScript will change that. You would have to change the WebDynpro application itself which I believe everyone on this post will agree is not recommended. If you use the 'edit' task, then the user can change the field values on the form and the DO_OPERATIONS will execute before going to the next step (much like the initial form). Those are your options. Even if you want to change the labels of the buttons, you still have to use the appropriate tasks in the WF.

As for the other nonsense that has been discussed in between the top post (the question) and this post (the answer), I must say I'm very disappointed that 'professionals' would use this forum as a way to throw blows at one another. Bottom line is we all know how valuable Solomons' (Chris not BBC) blogs and posts have been. Most of them are very insightful and I'm sure many of you have gained expertise, knowledge, and know-how from them.

@ BBC - you and Wim De Kok both registered on this site on 03/22/11 (only 8 days ago) and your first posts is to talk trash and throw blows at someone who has provided a lot of information in this forum. As a person who reads through this forum frequently, I hope that your next series of posts will be more educational and will provide solutions since it seems you've (and I quote) "been studying/developing forms before it was in any EHP". If that is the case then I'm sure your experience will be greatly appreciated if you so choose to use share it with us. I hope you and Wim actually joined to be insightful and I look forward to many more posts from the both of you since you both seem to suggest you have a lot of experience in this area.

@ Andrew u2013 I understand where you were coming from but I'm truly disappointed in your delivery. To try to belittle another consultant and discredit all that he has contributed does not seem to be who you are (as I remember you). Chris was big enough to apologize (because we all have bad days). Perhaps you should also apologize not only to Chris but to the innocent readers of these posts because clearly you where having a bad day as well.

@ Chris Solomon - It's good that you recognized that your response did not help Vijay although I think most understood where you were coming from. In some cases it is more valuable for people to understand the 'whole picture' especially when it comes to this product. By understanding the whole picture of what it can and can't do really helps when sitting with the client and designing a solution that works for them. But perhaps next time try not to respond on a bad day. Most of us understand that you are not the guru of this product but you are extremely knowledgeable. And to freely provide the information on what you do know has been very helpful and we look forward to more blogs and answers from you. Hopefully the rest of these guys/girls will step up and do the same because the more people that become knowledgeable in this product could easily translate into more clients implementing it.

@ to all - I hope that as professionals, no one takes any of these words personal and maybe this could be the end of all the back & forth and useless information. We'll see.

Derrick Banks

Banks & Company, LLC

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cooler heads prevail? Voice of reason?

Thanks, Derrick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well said Derrick. From my end, I don't see why I should apologize for pointing out the obvious. This is not the first, or second, or third post where I've come across such postings from Chris (an SAP Mentor). In my eyes, a bully being bullied is a beautiful sight.

In all, I'm content how this thread concluded. Seemingly, this will be the last time I'll have to read such down-talking. We're not all born knowing SAP.

Take care.

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. No offense please but I am not involved in requirement. Though I had explained all these constraint of the framework still we got a persistent client.

But now this issue is settled with we using successfully the 'Process form' instead of Approval.

I agree with all that i am not having that much insight in HCM P & F. I am a learner and need to expand my knowledge on this.

Thanks all again,

Vijay

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I achieved this by doing a small tweaking in the standard webdynpro part of HCM P & F and copied the standard task to create my own task.

Thanks,

Vijay

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I won't get into a flame war. I stand by my original post (albeit the last part might come off harsh....for that I will apologize). Back to the point....understanding the framework...understanding what an edit step vs. approval step vs. "start" step really does...understanding the restrictions within the framework (many in place to insure consistency across processes) is the first step. With that knowledge, you should then discuss this with the "client" when laying out the process and mapping it back to HCM P&F config.

And no, I am by no means THE HCM P&F expert or sole guru (nor does the "mentor" title mean that). It's just that working with this for many years now, the thing I do see quite typically (Andrew) is that a lot of people come on here asking complex questions without having much experience or really understanding what's all going on to begin with. Then, no matter the answer, it's just more confusing until they really do their own work to understand. Explaining a LOT of this is not something that can be done within a forum posts (hence a lot of my blogs for things that came up often). This particular post just happen to catch me on a "bad day" I suppose. If it came across too rough, again, I apologize. I will refrain from responding at all anymore unless I can provide a detailed answer (and have the time to do such).

-Amit

Spot on.

-Andrew

If you want to discuss this offline, feel free....my addy is in there. I highly doubt you came across any of my past clients/projects with this since all are repeat clients as well. If you think so, we can discuss it.

-BBC Solomon

Thanks for the laughs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have nothing to discuss offline; I've seen the work and spoken to multiple people. So... I can't see how they can ALL be repeat customers. Regardless, this is not the place to discuss such things and I simply don't care. Anyways, I hope not to come across any more degrading posts.

@BBC: Who are you and what is BBC?

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Andrew

I am genuinely curious what projects you THINK I worked on. I can name all my direct HCM P&F projects and still talk to most all team members there. Also, I was never the "one man show" on any of them. We often had someone handling workflow, someone doing GSs, me doing config and forms, business side experts, someone helping from secuirity, and on and on. Again, feel free to contact me. Nothing personal or taken personal here...just curious (because I do know projects where my documentation has ended up and I was NO part of them).

@OP

Question answered? Marked as answered?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

During the approval step DO_OPERATIONS will not be executed. Since user is entering field values,

it should not be approval step it should be Process step. In process step, DO_OPERATIONS get executed.

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos

But the client want the approval manager to enter some form details. I cannot have the 'Form Edit' for this step as they are saying that it should be approval step.

Please guide me.

Thanks,

Vijay

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You VERY clearly do not understand the requirements or there is a language barrier. Having an "approval" manager or "approval" step does not explicitly mean that that step is "read only"/review/check.

Also, saying that this is a "client", and you are not discussing this with them first is embarassing.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually what I had done is I am using 'Approve Form' step and in the adobe form had enabled only certain fields through scripting. Now my worry is if they click 'Approve' button without doing anything in the form, the form will not trigger DO_OPERATIONS so i am not able to validate. I can write a script in the form load with a flag to make the form trigger the backend service for validations. But I wanted to know whether there is any other way.

Thanks,

Vijay

akimol
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

ONLY way to do this is to use 'Edit form' step and not the 'Approve form'.

We had BIG discussions and going back and forth with our "Client" on why we (SAP framework) will show 'Back to Author' (instead of Reject) and 'Check and Send' (instead of approve).

Bottomline, if you need checks to be performed at the step then its SAP's way or highway.

Regards,

Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Solomon: HAHAHAHAHA

What a well thought out and helpful answer indeed! I'm pretty sure that provided absolutely no value to this thread.

Many folks coming up to speed on this solution ask this same question; wanting to have approval buttons while updating the form. So the fact that you don't know about this being a typical query speaks much to your 'expertise' of HCM PF.

Embarassing man...

Andy

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Andrew

Please don't play Superman and try to defend the OP. As I said, he does not understand how the framework functions. There is a big difference between an approval "step" and wanting to change the text on a button or other some such customization.

And I will disagree...I have been working with HCM P&F since it came to be, worked on many projects first hand and many others indirectly helping people on them...and I do NOT come across this as being "typical" if ever. Again, it sounds like the blueprinting is a bit off, and there is some miscommunication going on. But I won't bore you with this nonsense....you surely have the rest of the world to save.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Someone has to play Superman when big ego's (SDN mentor?) get behind posters for "dumb" questions. Instead, shouldn't you be explaining the difference in a helpful manner?

Furthermore, now that you mention it, I have been unfortunate enough to come to some of your previous customers and received feedback from others leading your implementation team. In fact, one of which I spoke with two weeks ago. They said... and I quote:

"We hired two men and a truck to come build our forms. Now we need to start from scratch."

I guess here comes superman indeed. HAHAHA

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, two men and a truck, that is truly funny man, lol.

It's unfortunate that there are so many hackers and frauds out there give a bad name to HCM P&F, I will mention no names. They believe that writing a line of ABAP code some how is a great achievement, sorry but I am fresh out of medals!

Its kinda bizarre that Mr. Solomon is the self anointed guru of HCM P&F, yet he hasn't answered this question, he's only managed to patronize and belittle people that are trying to learn. Is that what it takes to an SAP mentor?

Come on Solomon, answer the question and show us how much smarter than us you really are!

From his many "blogs" you would think that he could do a better job of writing a framework like HCM P&F than SAP. I wonder what is stopping him?

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yikes! Not a fan of the response to the question either WimDe? Well ivguess we can mark this question as answered? Please remember to award points.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

All, I apologize for Chris, I'm his brother . .just call me BBC. This is quite the msg! the bickering between andrew & Win de kok vs. Chris is quite entertaining. I must say. ..

I've been studying/developing forms before it was in any EHP. Chris sounds like a backdoor driver (woops was that a language barrier?) . ..always providing feedback but nothing developed. Chris in an earlier posting, didn't you also say you were developing UWL for the BB? Where was that? Lets see your form and I'll show you mine! I live up to my name

I think we need a new button on the form "Send to Chris" instead of "Send to Expert".