cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy control default item category field

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Regarding the connection between copying control and the item categ determination, I need to confirm the following :

1. 1st setup item category determination in SPRO for source and target document types.

2. In Copy Control settings, the corresponding Source and Target doc types along with their respective Item categories is also setup.

3. If in the Copy controls, the target item category (default item category field) is not set, that is left blank, when creating target document with reference to the source, the item category will take from the Item category determination table defined.

Related questions:

1. Is it true that in copy control settings, if the target default item category field is left blank, the source item category will be copied to the target's? Or the item category determination will overwrite this?

2. Copy control is to copy source to target document. And 1 document can have n number of items with n number of item categories. With the default item category Fixed in the settings of copy control, how does this affect the various item categories in the target document? Why does the item category need to be defined in copy control?

3. in your words, how would you describe the connection between copy controls and Item category determination?

regards

M Russo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi M Russo,

As per my understanding :--

01.Generally item category proposal is left blank in Copy Control and hence they were determined.Assignments is being maintained in VOV4.

Anf if you maintain item category proposal in copy Control than determination will not take place and it will be default item category fro that target document.

02.Item categories in copy control is to maintain the following settings by the time of reference.

Copying requirements 301

Pos./neg. quantity +

Copy quantity

Pricing type A

Update document flow

Cont. item copy mode

Copy product select.

Configuration

Campaign Deter.

Double click the item category in copy control to view the settings

It means if you are setting copy control for Quotation to Order and item category at QT is AGN and Item category proposal is also AGN than by default it appear as AGN. YOu can maintain different Copy Control settings for different item category for same combivnations, ( QT --> OR )

Pls refer following links for further details :--

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_crm60/helpdata/en/46/72d7ce42160eede10000000a155369/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_crm40/helpdata/EN/6f/f26859448111d5992400508b6b8b11/content.htm

Regards/Rajesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Item Cat. Determination and Copy Conntrol Item cat. are different things.

Item cat determination is a must. Otherwise system will throw error.

Whereas, if you do not maintain item cat. in copy control - system allows to proceed but items are not copied from source document and document flow is not updated.

When you enter items manually in target document item cat. is determined.

For question 2 -

In copy control between two documents - you can maintain copy control for many item categories. So if source document has different items with diff. item cat. then the Item cat in target doc. will be as per copy control settings. If not maintained - item will not get copied.

Item category is required in copy control for establishing connection and controlling data flow and other functionalities between the source and target documents at ITEM Level.

For example - Inquiry to Quotation - you need to maintain copy control between item category AFN and AGN in standard so that item gets copied. You have requirements to put conditions for copying and Data Transfer Routines to define which datat should be copied and how.

For Question 3 -

There is no connection

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Sorry, I still cannot understand about point 2.

i cannot understand because in the Copy Controls, eg. DO -> Bill doc, In the item folder config screen, there is ONLY 1 ITEM Category to specify from Source to Target. So, while I understand the logic that copying will copy ALL Items with possibly All Different Item categories, when there is only 1 setting in the copy control to specify the item category, how can all other item categories be copied?

Or are you saying that under the header LF -> F2, there is a folder called Item. In this Item folder, I should define n number of Soruce-Target Item Category combinations?

regards

M Russo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Thanks for clarifications.

I wish to close this thread by confirming:

In copy controls at item level, if the source item category is specified, and there is a target item category field but I do not populate it, leaving it blank. Does this mean the source item category will be copied to the target item category?

Another similar situation : the config screen for copy control at item category level does not provide a field for you to enter the target item category. In this case, am I right to say the target item will be created having the same item category as the source's?

regards

M Russo