cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Availability using CCMSPING

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gursus,

I am configuring system availability monitoring in solman (CEN). have put the ccmsping exe in satellite system, please let me know do i have to put the exe in solman too?

Reddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

I installed ccmsping only on Solman. This should help to you. It´s older, but still actual.

ccmsping.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are two ways.

1) You can install ccmsping agent on all settelite systems

2) install ccmsping on only solution manager.

We have to install ccmsping only on solution manager because if we add any new systesm to our landscape there is no need to install ccmsping on that system.

After installing ccmsping on solution manager, check service file should have following entry

sapms<SID> 3600/tcp # SAP System Message Server Port

Now go to RZ20 and configure system availability and there select the ccmsagent installed on solution manager as destination of responsible ccmsping.

you can check the link:[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/EN]

kindly revert in case of any query.

Regards,

Akhilesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful replies.points rewareded for for helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Forgot to close

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Reddy,

It needs to be installed on all the managed systems.

And yes, Solution Manager can be the managing and managed system, so if you wish to monitor Solman too, then yes it needs to be installed on Solman, otherwise, its for the managed systems. So you have to decide, are you goign to manage the Solman system too? If so, you need it, if not you don't.

Hope this makes it clear.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful replies.. when setting up the avavlability, found the notes from SPRO

"You can install CCMSPING on any host in your IT environment, you do not have to install the agent on a host with an SAP system. If you want to monitor a lot of systems (>100), do not install the agent on a host on which an SAP system is running, use several CCMSPINGs in parallel for your availability monitoring"

1.If i install on any(non sap) system, how would i monitor availability of my sap systems?

2. i have alomost 40 systems , do i need to install ccmsping on all these systems?

3."use several CCMSPINGs in parallel for your availability monitoring" ---> "can anyone explain what does this mean?

Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

1) When you install the CCMS ping agent(s) you will configure it to connect to the gateway of the ABAP system you are going to perfrom your availability monitoring from. Typically your Solution Manager system.

A TCP/IP rfc destination will be created in your montitoring system fro each agent you register.

2) No. You will only need to install one (or two if you want redundancy) CCMS ping ageant which you register to your monitoring system.

Note if you are using more than a single CCMS agent you must install it with -push option and it's own ccmsping number

You will also need to update a table in the monitoring system. See the SAP help at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/EN/71/199a41cffaad5fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

e.g. if they are installed on a Windows host you will end up with services like:

CCMSPING.01 "D:\usr\sap\prfclog\ccmsping.exe" -Service -push -n01

CCMSPING.02 "D:\usr\sap\prfclog\ccmsping.exe" -Service -push -n01

3) If you install more than one CCMS ping agent and register it to the same monitoring system you can combine them in a group. that way if one agent is stopped for any reason the other will still check that your moniroed systems are available.

(You can only configure group if you have updated the table ALAVLCTR as per the SAP help)

In RZ21 --> Technical Infrastructure --> Availbility monitoring --> Configure CCMS ping Availability Mon.

From the "CCMS Ping" dropdown button select "Administer CCMSPING groups"

For 40 systems I would recommend one CCMSPING agent installed on the same host as the ABAP system you are using for monitoring (which should be your Solution Manager system).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for reply

2) No. You will only need to install one (or two if you want redundancy) CCMS ping ageant which you register to your monitoring system.

Note if you are using more than a single CCMS agent you must install it with -push option and it's own ccmsping number

You will also need to update a table in the monitoring system. See the SAP help at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/EN/71/199a41cffaad5fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

e.g. if they are installed on a Windows host you will end up with services like:

CCMSPING.01 "D:\usr\sap\prfclog\ccmsping.exe" -Service -push -n01

CCMSPING.02 "D:\usr\sap\prfclog\ccmsping.exe" -Service -push -n01

"if i install only one ccms agent"-- assume on a sap ecc system? in that case how would regiser another SAP system(crm,pi..etc, ehere there is no ccms agent

also SAP says do not install CCMS agen on system where SAP running, then how would i register, i feel CCMSPING agent need to be there in every system ,which i will register in solman(CEN)

Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

The CCMS ping agent will check the message server of the SAP system and check at least one application server is registered as available.

Hence for SAP system you don't need a ccm ping agent on the monitored system. It just queries the message server.

For non-SAP systems you would need a ccmsping agent installed on the host.

What is happeening is you monitoring system (Solman) connects to the registered CCMS ping agent and gets it to check the monitored system(s). The CCMSping agent returns the results to Solman.

So it is important to understand your central monitoring system (Solman) is monitoring the availability of the other SAP systems by using the one ccmsping agent to test the connections. i.e. Solman is doing the monitoring ccmsping is just a tool it uses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The CCMS Ping needs to be installed on the Solution Manager too. Documentation at SolMan SPRO  SAP Solution Manager  Cross-Scenario Settings  System Availability with CCMSPING 

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srikishan,

thanks for the response,i have checked the navigation you have mentioned. it nowhere says that CCMSPING should be insstalled in solman system.

reddy

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

CCMSPING neednot be installed on CEN System (i.e.Solution MAnager).

Its installed on the ABAP/JAVA instances.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/38/9e3337d7840ffee10000009b3810a5/frameset.htm

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You should install CCMSPING only on satelite system (on other way the systems which you want to monitor availablity) and once you installed you register the ccmsping with solution manager for the monitoing.

for sap tutor link refer here [CCMSPING AND AVAILABLITY|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/operations?rid=/webcontent/uuid/00251cd4-3fcb-2a10-de86-a81f0da3eb59] [original link is broken];

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can install the ccms ping on every system you want to!

You need a rfc destination to the system with the ccms ping from the solution manager.

But I would prefer the settings with the ccms ping on the solman. You need a connection from the ccms ping service to the systems you want to monitor.

and normally the solman has these connections

Please post, if you have any further questions

Timm