How to create a Universe with excel?
I want to create a universe using excel, but I don't know if it is possible.
If it is possible should I save the excel file in an specific folder? where?
Is it possible to create WebI reports using this universe?
Edited by: PadawanGirl on Jan 31, 2011 7:53 PM
Swarna K replied
It cannot be that difficult to create a new universe based on Excel spreadsheet. You can log on to the Designer, do a "File-->New", and from the dialog boxes, you should be able to find "Excel Spreadsheet" under "Microsoft". Just follow the dialog boxes and you should be able to create the universe.
If you have WebI, you should be able to run against that universe with no problem. Just make sure your Excel file and the DSN are on the BusinessObjects server.
After you have created the DSN on the BusinessObjects server, go back to Universe Designer, when you select the new connection, you should see your new DSN name from the drop-down list. After you added the table to the universe and created the new objects, you should always go to the Properties tab of the new dimension object, click on the "Display..." button to view the data. This will give you some idea if your universe is actually pulling data or not.
Also, if you are including the headers on the Excel file, it is better to name the headers with no space. And don't forget to name your Excel tab instead of leaving it with the default name of "Report 1". This makes it so much cleaner.
The "properties" tab that I was referring to belongs to the dimension object in the universe. I thought you have already added the table and created the objects. Let me make sure I understand you correctly, have you completed successfully the following steps?
1. Prep the Excel file... i.e. remove spaces in headers (these headers can become your object names in the universe), name the tab instead of the default name of "Report 1", store the file in the BusinessObjects server.
2. Create a system DSN on the BusinessObjects server using the Microsoft Excel Driver to point to the Excel file in the same server. Test the connection to make sure it is good.
3. Open Universe Designer to create a new universe. Click "New" to create a new connection and select the DSN from the drop-down list. Test the connection to make sure it is good with no error.
4. Add table to the universe by selecting the Excel file from the list (there should be just one on the list).
5. Drag the table to the left pane to create the objects.
6. Click on each object to open up a dialog box. On the Properties tab, click on Display to make sure you have data.