cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Upgrade to EHP 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am going to upgrade the developing system from ERP 6.0 EHP 3 to 4.

Could anyone tell me how long time it will take? What are the concerned issues? Could you list out the main processes and supporting documents?

The following is the server configurations:

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5430 @ 2.66 GHz

RAM: 6.00GB

System type: 64-bit OS

File format: NTFS

2 SATA Hard Disks:

1) 280 GBs --> 2 partitions: 60 GB and 220 GB

2) 838 GBs --> 2 partitions: 2 X 411 GB

I would like to point out this is a development environment. There are only thousands of transactions' records and it will be off-line during the system upgrading.

Cheers,

Simon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may want to refer to [http://service.sap.com/erp-ehp]

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Markus had a good answer. Dress rehearsals are essential. I want to address another issue. You mentioned this is an upgrade on Dev. Have you done upgrades before? I ask because you will now have Dev out of step with QA and Prod until you have upgraded them as well. That's not a good idea in general unless you have a proper freeze on any development and seriously tight control on any maintenance changes. Okay, so it's 'only' an EHP upgrade, but the principle remains.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny and Manoj,

could you give me an estimated time for doing the upgrade job? I need to plan the system down time.

Also, could you tell me wht's the most difficult part of the upgrading?

Cheers,

Simon

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Sunny and Manoj,

> could you give me an estimated time for doing the upgrade job? I need to plan the system down time.

>

Also, could you tell me wht's the most difficult part of the upgrading?

Upgrade is simple if donw carefully.

>

> Cheers,

> Simon

Hi,

As Sunny said earlier there is no such estimated downtime.

If you want an estimated downtime then you need to first upgrade a sandbox system(copy of your Prod.) so as to get a clear picture of your System Upgrade.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Former Member
0 Kudos
could you give me an estimated time for doing the upgrade job? I need to plan the system down time.

I would plan in such way that downtime phase would fall on/towards the weekend (your weekly off). For example start upgrade on Monday/Tuesday and carry on downtime phase in planned downtime over the weekend. You need system down only in downtime phase and rest of the phases can run while system is in production. As said earlier in one of the post, you will get fair idea about runtimes after upgrading on sandbox.

Hope this helps.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> could you give me an estimated time for doing the upgrade job? I need to plan the system down time.

I have done EHP4 upgrades having a downtime of < 6 hours and also > 30 hours. This all depends on the current system, the number of packages you install, the number of languages, the database configuration, amount of memory, how often the upgrade stops during downtime because of issues etc.

> Also, could you tell me wht's the most difficult part of the upgrading?

I would copy the system to a likewise server (in sense of number of harddisk and CPU speed) and run the upgrade, check the results, minimize the problems you have by e. g. deleting a wrong/double index before etc. Then do the same again. For our production I did the EHP upgrade 6 times before the production system was touched and we went from 16 hours downtime to 8.

Markus

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As such there is no timings about upgrade time. Time of upgrade depends upon how much optimization that you can achieve (like no. of R3trans processes, background processes, database parameters etc.)

I would suggest you to go through upgrade guide on http://service.sap.com/erp-ehp (specially How to install EHP4 and Technical FAQ documents)

Thanks

Sunny