Installing Crystal Reports version 13 for Visual Studio .Net 2010 fails

I am having trouble installing the Crystal Reports version 13 for Visual Studio 2010 on a Windows 7 machine. There are a few DLLs which fail to register with error 1904 and I just cannot get past this problem. My colleague has exactly the same problem on a similarly configured machine.

I can see that there are postings for a similar error but concerning earlier versions of Crystal Reports and not necessarily Windows 7. I am running the install with admin rights on the machine. When I try to manually register the errant DLLs I get the following error message:

"The module 'commonobjmodel.dll failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. Invalid access to memory location."

I understand that there could be issues with dependencies, but I can't tell what these dependencies are. I have all the prerequisites outlined in the Installation Guide. Using the Dependency Walker on any of the bad DLLs returns a "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module." But that is not very clear. From what I can tell it is just a warning and not a show stopper. The DLLs it concerns are IEFRAME.DLL and SHLWAPI.DLL and these are not directly related to Crystal Reports.

Is there a check list of things to look at to make sure the dependencies are correct? I do have a previous version of Crystal Reports installed on the machine (v. 10) possibly from the previous versions of Visual Studio, but that should not be an issue.

This does seem to be a known issue, but I have not been able to find a working solution for my case in these forums. I did install VC++ redistributable as it was mentioned somewhere, but it did not help.

Any help on this issue will be appreciated. I can provide more details on my particular setup if needed.

• SAP Moderator
  • SAP Employee

Hi Stan,

There have recently been a few posts on the 1904 error. It's typically due to an updated version of one of our dependencies.

This one is typically the solution, go to the last update for more info...

Installing CR for VS2010 throws 1904 Exception - fails to register many dll

Thank you

0 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer