cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Crystal Reports version 13 for Visual Studio .Net 2010 fails

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having trouble installing the Crystal Reports version 13 for Visual Studio 2010 on a Windows 7 machine. There are a few DLLs which fail to register with error 1904 and I just cannot get past this problem. My colleague has exactly the same problem on a similarly configured machine.

I can see that there are postings for a similar error but concerning earlier versions of Crystal Reports and not necessarily Windows 7. I am running the install with admin rights on the machine. When I try to manually register the errant DLLs I get the following error message:

"The module 'commonobjmodel.dll failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. Invalid access to memory location."

I understand that there could be issues with dependencies, but I can't tell what these dependencies are. I have all the prerequisites outlined in the Installation Guide. Using the Dependency Walker on any of the bad DLLs returns a "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module." But that is not very clear. From what I can tell it is just a warning and not a show stopper. The DLLs it concerns are IEFRAME.DLL and SHLWAPI.DLL and these are not directly related to Crystal Reports.

Is there a check list of things to look at to make sure the dependencies are correct? I do have a previous version of Crystal Reports installed on the machine (v. 10) possibly from the previous versions of Visual Studio, but that should not be an issue.

This does seem to be a known issue, but I have not been able to find a working solution for my case in these forums. I did install VC++ redistributable as it was mentioned somewhere, but it did not help.

Any help on this issue will be appreciated. I can provide more details on my particular setup if needed.

Thanks,

Stan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for re-posting to the proper forum.

I think I have narrowed the problem down to an improper installation of the Microsoft C++ Redistributable, or more specifically the famous MSVCR80.DLL. Unfortunately, all my efforts to install this properly have been fruitless.

Whatever I do, I cannot register the DLLs. I tried installing the full version of VS 2005, installing the C++ Redistributable by itself, the C++ Redistributable with the SP1, totally in vain.

In fact I got an error installing the vcredist_x86.exe (the SP1 version) probably because the non SP1 version was already installed. Makes no sense, why shouldn't I be able to apply a patch over an old installation?

Makes me wonder why, if this dependency is so vital, yet so messy, is it not included in the Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 installation package? The dependency on the 2005 C++ Runtime is not even mentioned in the Installation Guide. And from what I can see from older posts, this problem has been around for a while.

Any advice on how to get the C++ Redistributable properly installed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

There have recently been a few posts on the 1904 error. It's typically due to an updated version of one of our dependencies.

This one is typically the solution, go to the last update for more info...

Thank you

Don

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don,

Indeed I looked at this thread you mentioned, but couldn't resolve my issue with installing Crystal Reports.

In fact, I have re-installed VS2005, applied the SP1 plus the Update for Vista/Windows 7, to no avail. Still cannot register the DLLs. With Dependency Walker I can see that I am missing two dependent DLLs - IESHIMS.DLL and MSVCR80.DLL. But can't just drop them in the Windows/System32. Tried that out of desperation though, still no luck. Dependency Walker does not complain, but still cannot register the Crystal DLLs.

As a side note, using the Dependency Walker may be a bit misleading, because it would seem it does not track the dependencies the same way as Windows 7 loads or registers them. Seems that tool is not really compatible with Win 7. That is just my thought, I am not an expert on Dependency Walker or DLL dependencies resolution in Windows 7.

To summarize, I have VS2005 Professional, VS2008 and VS2010 Ultimate installed with almost all options, except for the x64 ones. All .Net frameworks up to and including 4. Have MS Office 2010. My Windows 7 Enterprise is fairly recent and fairly clean. Don't have any unnecessary junk (yet) on the machine. Have CA eTrust anti-virus software running. Am an admin on the machine and other Crystal DLLs not dependent on these two missing above seem to install and register correctly.

After having played with installing any variation of components which should normally supply these dependencies, I am running really low on options and would have to soon abandon the idea of using Crystal Reports. I've never ever had so much trouble installing a fairly standard set of software components especially not for Visual Studio.

I am grasping at straws really at this point. Any suggestions on how to pin-point the real issue would be very welcome. What could be the problem with the way I have installed the C++ redistributable libraries? Or why can't I install Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010? Has anyone been able to install it on Windows 7? Are there known compatibility issues with any of these components?

Thanks,

Stan

0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

I'm using the exact same install as you only I'm using Windows 7 64 and I did not run into any install problems.

Look in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging

There is a install log file that may help determine what failed also.

One issue I do know is anti-virus software has been know to block CR installs and CA software is another cause.

Curious also, is the CA software in your PATH statement?

Try disabling, disconnect from the network or disable your network card, CA eTrust anti-virus software and try again. Even though you do disable sometimes they still block installs. Even though you have those C++ dependencies on your PC CR should be able to find them so something is denying access. Anything show up in their log files that your install was blocked or denied access?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for all your help. The cryptocme2.dll was the culprit for me as well. I too had 3 versions of the file as mentioned towards the end of this thread you pointed me to earlier

Mine were in Program Files/CA, Adobe and AdobeReader. Don't know how I missed them the first time I looked, but that is that. Renamed them and the installation went just fine.

Thanks again,

Stan

0 Kudos

Also, for your info this issue was tracked as a bug and will be fixed in SP1.

ADAPT01491541 - CR will load our file from our folder and ignore the other ones.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I moved your post to the .NET - SAP Crystal Reports forum.

For install on Windows 7, try right clicking on the installer and making sure it is unblocked. Downloaded files are blocked by default and certain operations are no allowed even if the file is run as an administrator.

If that does not help, search for "1904 crystal net", using the search box in the top right corner of this page.

- Ludek