cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware requirements on unix vs linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

currently we are running ECC on HP-UX (hardware HP DL 380). The machine has 24 GB of RAM and 4 dual core CPUs. It gives us the performance we need. Soon we plan to move to a Solaris OS on SUN T5440. My question is - would we require same 24 GB of RAM and same 8 core power on this ? Or would it be more or less ? any kind of comparison matrix ?

Please dont tell me to run a quicksizer and look at benchmarks etc etc, I dont have time and I just need a ball park comparison for now. Your inputs from your experiences would help. thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> currently we are running ECC on HP-UX (hardware HP DL 380).

I doubt that.

DL380 is a Intel x86 CPU, HP-UX does run only on Itanium, so either your machine is wrong or your OS

> The machine has 24 GB of RAM and 4 dual core CPUs. It gives us the performance we need. Soon we plan to move to a Solaris OS on SUN T5440. My question is - would we require same 24 GB of RAM and same 8 core power on this ? Or would it be more or less ? any kind of comparison matrix ?

>

> Please dont tell me to run a quicksizer and look at benchmarks etc etc, I dont have time and I just need a ball park comparison for now. Your inputs from your experiences would help. thanks

T-Series servers are NOT suited for ABAP applications. Don't be fooled by the number of cores and threads. For ABAP the raw Mhz number counts and those are pretty low on those machines (because of the high number of cores and threads). There are a few threads here explaining the behavirour, AFAIK one company migrated off the T-Series (for ABAP) because they were slower as their old UltraSPARC III. So even if you have 8 cores you will end up with a machine at the speed of one single CPU (with 1,x Ghz).

I would go for UltraSPARC IV+ and Solaris - or stay with HP (a new DL380 G6 with Nehalem) and run Solaris x86_64 on it (http://www.saponsolaris.com).

I can just recommend to seriously avoid any CoolThreads server (T1, T2) for ABAP applications (for Java it's a different story).

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just check the specs of the hardware vendor of how many SAP's these machines are... If that's comparable, you should be fine.

Kind regards,

Mark