cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Kernel of a 710 system to a different LPAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using note 1097637 for doing this and am hoping to use option 1. It seems quite straight forward, but it's just not working out for me.

I'm in the /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory and am running the SAPCAR PARMLIST('-cvf /home/<SID>ADM/SAPKERNEL.SAR') command but it is returning a SAPCAR: no files given for archiving (error 29).

It feels like I am missing something, but unsure what it is. Option 1 seems so much easier than 2 and having to FTP it to the other LPAR and going through the patching process.

Any help on this one would be a great help. Thanks,

Ryan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Yes you a right, you are just missing something small if you entering the statement exactly as shown in your message:

The command is not SAPCAR PARMLIST('-cvf /home/&lt;SID&gt;ADM/SAPKERNEL.SAR')

it is SAPCAR PARMLIST('-cvf /home/&lt;SID&gt;ADM/SAPKERNEL.SAR .')

The 'dot' before the apostrophe is very important in this context, as it specifies that you want to create an archive from the contents of the current directory.

Hope this helps.

Sally Power

For SAP on IBM i Development Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thank you for the quick response. You are exactly right; I corrected my command and it worked as designed.

Much respect,

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sally - I had the same issue and this worked perfectly

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> SAPCAR PARMLIST('-cvf /home/<SID>ADM/SAPKERNEL.SAR') command but it is returning a SAPCAR: no files given for archiving (error 29).

You told the system:

Create a SAR file of the following components:

but you did not say WHAT components

If you read the note, you'll see that you omitted the "dot" after the "SAPKERNEL.SAR".

SAPCAR PARMLIST('-cvf /home/<SID>ADM/SAPKERNEL.SAR .''

Markus