cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW 7.3 with SEM

former_member204733
Participant
0 Kudos

When we tried to apply enhancement packs to our BW 7.0 system 2 years ago, we found out in the process we could not apply just Netweaver enhp1, but had to have ERP enhp 4 available to get the corresponding SEM component upgrade.

Now we want to go to BW (Netweaver) 7.3 when it is available, but wonder what the dependency is to an ERP enhancement pack. Is the corresponding SEM component in ERP enhp 5 ? Or ????

Want to make sure we can get to BW 7.3 this summer and not run in to a road block with SEM.

Ruth Jones

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

First, sorry for the confusion. There are certainly many scenarios we have to look at when we assemble the support dates for the add-ons. I am part of the Product Management Team for BW and have been working on the add-on issues with my counterparts in EMEA since last summer.

In regards to SEM, we do have good news here. Due to the high customer usage of SEM, the SEM Product Management team committed to supporting SEM on BW in the March/April 2011 timeline. While the date is not fixed, this time windows has been in the works since late Fall 2010.

In short, we will have SEM support during Ramp-up of SAP NetWeaver BW 7.30.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Warmest Regards,

Storm Archer

Senior Product Manager

SAP NetWeaver BW

SAP Labs, LLC.

former_member204733
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Storm. I think that is the answer I want to get. Do you know yet how the coresponding SEM level will be packaged when it is released. Available as part of the Netweaver enhp 3 ? or it will just stay as SEM 604 ?

This is something we don't plan to look at till this summer, and know 7.3 has to be out of ramp-up. Just trying to think ahead and know we don't have a plan that won't be able to be done.

And we do use SEM in BW, so don't want to entertain options of getting rid of it either.

Ruth

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member204733
Participant
0 Kudos

Wanted to get more info on what they know about where the SEM component will be available. Storm told me it will be supported, but not what he knows about how yet.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you checked SAP note 1532805 which i suggested you earlier ?

Which clearly gives you an idea about all components supported SAP Netweaver 7.3 system. Since SEM_BW is ERP component and present on Netweaver components. This note tells that SAP Netweaver 7.3 system supports EHP4 component and your SEM_BW is already on 604 which is supported.

Thanks

Sunny

former_member204733
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, I had looked at the note, and actually missed SEM 6.0 as it was at the very bottom of the list. (And also had other response that it would not work at the same time.)

Still, I guess the fact that the note puts it in a category of things "that will be released", and yet the Product Manager is saying they have committed to support it, doesn't completely give me a good feeling that the version I have rith now will work with 7.3 without applying some other notes or something.

That may remain to be seen I guess.

former_member204733
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank yoou for the answers. Unfortunately, they seem to be conflicting answers. I've gone to my SAP account rep to see if she can get me clarification.

This is a BW system. but it has SEM - Busines Planning components installed, and those components were in the ERP enhancement packs, not in just the Netweaver Enhancement packs. That is the problem we ran in to last time, going to BW 7.1.

Ruth

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruth,

I understand the confusion. Let me help to clarify things since in the end it's not that complicated:

When ugrading your system you have to distinguish two things:

1) Dependencies of software components that are installed on the system

In your case the SEM component depends on the BW component (which in turn depends on the SAP Basis components). In other words you have an "SEM System" (and not a BW System). Therefore you always have to go along with the release cycle for SEM.

The place you want to visit is the Product Availability Matrix: http://service.sap.com/pam Simply search for "SEM" to find the details about past, current, and potentially future releases. When you check the details for SEM 6.0 you will see that it is based on SAP Basis 7.0 (nothing new to you). This is a clear indication that you can't upgrade your SEM 6.0 to BW 7.3 which runs on SAP Basis 7.3 (see PAM for "SAP NetWeaver 7.3").

In short, you have to wait for the next SEM release (which would include BW 7.3).

2) Dependencies to software components on connected systems

This can be tricking because there could be many connected systems and therefore a lot of dependencies. The good news is that you can get help quickly. Check the "Upgrade Dependency Analyzer" which displays known dependencies: http://service.sap.com/uda

Here are two more resources that provide some more details:

Upgrading to the Latest Release of SAP NetWeaver? What You Need to Know About the Interoperability of Old and New SAP Systems

http://www.sap.com/community/flash/kw22_08_story_1.epx

Upgrade Roadmap

http:/service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700003236242003/Index.htm

Regards,

Marc

SAP Techology RIG

PS: There is no uninstall for the SEM component on BW (or for add-ons in general). If the only thing you use out of the SEM component is BPS, you might want to consider migrating to a new BW 7.x system that does not contain SEM (but still BW-BPS).

former_member204733
Participant
0 Kudos

Marc, You make it sound easy. But I went to the PAM (which I had already looked at before posting the question), and searched on SEM. And you only find info on SEM 6.0 (and older versions) and I am already at SEM 604.

And SEM 6.0 says it runs on BASIS 7.0, and I'm already on 701. So.. as far as I can see the PAM is behind the times.

Ruth

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Netweaver system based on 7.3 release, SAP ERP 6.0 EHP4 system is still compatible to it. So, if you upgrade your netweaver system to 7.3 release then ERP component on EHP4 release will be suitable i.e. you need not to have any other version of ERP component. Please check SAP note 1532805 and check below extract from this note:

. SAP Business Suite

the following SAP Business Suite Add-Ons (and Java applications / Business Content) will be enabled for deployment on SAP NetWeaver 7.3 hubs. There will be communication in a separate SAP Note for more details in Q1/2011

EHP4 FOR SAP ERP 6.0

SAP CRM 7.0

SAP SRM 7.0

SAP Web Channel Experience Management

SAP COMP APP FOR E-TAX

SAP COMP APP FOR IDM

SAP IS-M/AMC

SAP F&R

SAP WORKFORCE MANAGEMENT

SAP ENVIRONMENTAL COMPL.

SAP Reach Compliance

SAP ADAPTERS FOR PI

SAP Portfolio and Project Management

SAP MII

SAP MFG EXECUTION

SAP E-SOURCING / CLM

SAP MDM CATALOG MGMT.

SEM-BW 6.04

Hope it will answer your question.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Netweaver 730 is delivered as a standalone unit and is currently in ramp up. The Business suite applications like ERP, SRM, CRM, SCM that will be based on Netweaver 730 are not supported and hence there is no such release either.

If your system is a ERP system, then it cannot be upgraded to 730 since it is not supported. Only standalone Netweaver systems ( ex: EP, PI, BW usage types) can be upgraded.

Rgds,

Soujanya