cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy from Oracle 9i to Oracle 11g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are on SAP release 4.70 ext 2.00 with Oracle 9. In preparation for an upgrade to ECC 6.0, we are getting new hardware to install a new instance of 4.70 on Oracle 11g. After which, we would want to perform a homogeneous system copy from our existing SAP system to the newly installed SAP system with Oracle 11g. Is it possible to perform a system copy from an earlier Oracle release to a later Oracle release?

Our intention is to preform a system copy and test upgrade SAP in the new hardware without having to upgrade Oracle if it can already be on 11g.

Regards,

Lim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can do the homogeneous system copy for this. But if you database specific method (db backup/restore) then source and target db version must be same or must be upgraded after system copy.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all, now I know it is possible to perform a system copy to a higher Oracle version using database independent system copy method R3load. However R3load method is more difficult and time consuming. I will probably use the database specific method of backup and restore and upgrade the Oracle version to 11g after the system copy.

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to perform a heterogenoeus SYstem copy for this.

In which you need to export the DB from source and import it into Oracle 11g on target.

This is the only way possible.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not so sure this is considered a heterogeneous system copy since there is no change in the OS or DB. We are still using Oracle database.

Regards,

Lim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nirmal, you are wrong, this is not a heterogeneous system copy.

Lim, looks like Volker has given you the best option, please follow.

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

actually, you do NOT install a new system FIRST and THEN copy an existing system into it afterwards.

You install a new system directly with the export of the source system, so after this installation, your copy is complete.

So it is a single step, and yes, when using R3load export/import, you can

do so directly with a higher release of the DB software.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

i think this is possible. i am not sure about oracle database. recently i did for SQL database. our source with sql 2005 after that we copied it to sql 2008 database.