cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System refresh - drop schema

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'v an existing QA system which I wish to refresh from PRD. The method will be using R3load export/import. My question is must I drop the database schema manually first before I start the import in QA, does sapinst prompt for us to delete the db schema or it does this overwriting automatically.

My dba is suggesting that i drop the db using Oracle database assistance (dbca) manually before the import.

I'm on SAP R/3 4.7, SAPinst 6.40.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'v an existing QA system which I wish to refresh from PRD. The method will be using R3load export/import. My question is must I drop the database schema manually first before I start the import in QA, does sapinst prompt for us to delete the db schema or it does this overwriting automatically.

sapinst assumes, that the system is "empty", so no kernel, no database software, no database instance. However, newer versions of sapinst detect, that there is a database and will ask to "recreate" it, that means that sapinst will drop the instance (not only the schema) and creates it from scratch.

Any reason why you don't use backup/restore -or an offline backup? Much less efforts and faster than export/import.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

On large systems (> 1tb) the creation of datafiles can take quite some time. To reduce the downtime during a migration i was using this procedure:

Do a test migration first:

- run sapinst, select the import (i was using "start migmon manually")

- at the start migmon step, stop sapinst, and backup the /tmp/sapinst_instdir

- finish the test migration

Then the real migration:

- drop the SAP schema (can also take a lot of time on a ERP system)

- recreated the SAP schema user

- put the backup of sapinst_instdir back in place

- done the export/import with migmon

- restart sapinst and finish the migration

So basically, this is possible but i can also confirm Markus's statement. If there already is a SAP schema sapinst asks if you want to drop it, i think you could even create a new one in that case.

Cheers Michael

Edited by: mho on Jan 26, 2011 12:50 PM

Ah, just had a review in the documentation, i recreated the user myself (but obviously this is only a tribute the my special sapinst-procedure):

create user SAPSR3 identified by sap default tablespace PSAPSR3USR temporary tablespace psaptemp;
grant sapconn, unlimited tablespace to SAPSR3;

Former Member
0 Kudos

i'm using sapinst 640 so i dont think the drop db feature is part of it. i',m using r3load as the PRD is pretty fragemented, we want to know how much the db will "shrink" when refreshing to QA.