cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number ranges issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have 30 types of materials , according to the business I have to create 30 number ranges for 30 different types of materials.

for eg, If business wants to sell material AAA1 , This should fall in the number range in between 1-10. like wise I have to maintain 30 ranges for 30 material types. Apart from this way of doing , can you give me any suggestions or solutions please.

Thanks,

KP.

EM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kanna

Effective way of maintaing the number range:

A simple example is as mentioned above, Have a unique prefix followed by number for each material type. It would be more self explanatory.

Configuring the large number of material types:

a) U can use LSMW

b) MMNR

some infor:

http://saptechsolutions.com/pdf/MaterialNumberRangesAndFormatting.pdf

rgds

RG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for valuable solutions. Unique prefix maintainability is required for each order type. How to address this?

Just maintaining alphabets before number range is okay or should we go for ABAP development?

Thank you,

KP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please clarify your requirement? Is your requirement to maintain different number range for Sales order based on the material type of the material that is in the order?

Not sure, how feasible it is... but if it is feasible, are you not taking the chance that materials of different type be added to the Same sales order (unless std. sap disallows it or you have enhancement to prevent that?)..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kris,

My actual req is for Material type. But I have an issue regarding doc types to Maintain a prefix. For this I am asking If I can go with number range maintain or I need a developer to prefix alphabet before numbers.

Thanks,

KP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

You can have the different number ranges for different material types.

try in MMNR

regards

Prashanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for each material type maintaining one doc type is not the right way, I guess. Is there any other way experts? now the business says, there will be more than 75 material types. Help required.

Thanks,

KP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

LSMW - is the best method for it.

please correct me if i am wrong & which is the best method for doing it.

balajia

Edited by: balaji timmampalli achari on Feb 10, 2011 7:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi KP,

as per my understanding goes you are asking the smart way of doing the number ranges for 30 material types.

yes there is LSMW.

write and run

please test for 1 material type and get back to me if you found any error in uploading.

hope this clears your issue

balajia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

I dont think Its an Lsmw issue. I was just asking if there any smarter way How to handle this different number ranges for different materials types? Instead of maintaining 30 different document types or different number ranges, I wonder if there is any way to address this issue?

Thanks.

KP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Kanna,

Do you expect that new material types will get introduced? Because I think 30 types is still manageable, however more than that might be difficult. It also depends on the expected material codes within each type, so that you make sure to create ranges with enough namespace.

As for the options, I would go for the standard number ranges setup. You can think of alternatives via custom solutions like having material type prefix before the material code (eg. material type OC will have material code OC12345 and type 'AC' would have AC12346 etc.). Then you could use only single number range and via custom enhancements introduce the prefixes. But again, I do not think this is advisable for 30 different types.

Regards,

Dominik Modrzejewski