cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Het. Systemcopy Linux i386 Windows x64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I have recently executed a Heterogenous systemcopy from SLES8 i386 (32-bit), SAP R3 Enterprise x110, Oracle 9.2.0.4 to-->

Windows 2003 x64, Oracle 10.2.0.4, same SAP release.

I am a bit uncertain on the procedure here, this is what i did.

Export of source system, ok straightforward.

Installed Oracle 9.2.0.4 32-bit on target system (Windows 2003 x64).

Patched Oracle to 9.2.0.7 32-bit on target system.

Executed target system installation (system copy) on target system, using 32-bit sapinst, ok.

Database Instance, Central Instance.

Upgraded Oracle 9.2.0.7 32-bit to Oracle 10.2.0.4 64-bit directly using dbua.

Exchanged SAP kernel 6.40 32-bit with 6.40 64-bit ext2.

Everything seems to work fine, no problems, SAP is running, Oracle not complaining and so on.

However, i have my doubts whether this "procedure" is supported and if something is wrong deep down somewhere...

Any comments to the above procedure ?

Oracle claims in one of their Metalink notes that upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit using DBUA is supported, wordsize is converted directly from 32-bit to 64-bit, and even so, you could always just recompile the pl/sql procedures if in doubt. I have checked every executable in Oracle server and SAP, everything is now running fine on x64 platform, wordsize 64-bit.

Anyhow, this is just a preliminary step to upgrade to ERP 6.0 EHP5 on NW7.02.

But i would like to hear if anyone sees any immediate problem with this ?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have recently executed a Heterogenous systemcopy from SLES8 i386 (32-bit), SAP R3 Enterprise x110, Oracle 9.2.0.4 to-->

> Windows 2003 x64, Oracle 10.2.0.4, same SAP release.

Just to add: you're aware that you're loosing support for your target system if you do this migration without a certified migration consultant? http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration --> FAQ

> Installed Oracle 9.2.0.4 32-bit on target system (Windows 2003 x64).

9.2 is not supported on x64.

> However, i have my doubts whether this "procedure" is supported and if something is wrong deep down somewhere...

> Any comments to the above procedure ?

See above, to do such a migration you need to "buy" a consultant.

Markus

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback. We will use a certified consultant for the migration as stated by SAP.

0 Kudos

Hi,

You really made it complicated.

If it is heterogeneous system copy, then you are exporting the data from the source system with R3LOAD.

On the target system you only need to install SAP with the final Oracle version you want and then import the data.

No need to install same version and upgrade it. You save time and effort (and avoid possible problems as less operations are done)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks way too complicated for me!

Installing 4.70 with 11.2 is supported now. Check note 1499877.

If you go for Export with R3load, I'd install 4.70 directly with 11.2 64 Bit.

Volker