cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Version Control in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Basis Gurus

I am an XI certified guy with some experience in ABAP. However, since we don't have a BASIS person at our company, due to budget issues, I am working on BASIS related issues also which includes installation of servers etc.,

I want to know how the version control is done in SAP. I was told that for ABAP I can use transport requests. However, how is this done in case of other modules like CRM, XI etc.,

Basically I want to know if we are at a version say 5 of our SAP code, and a customer calls back with some problem and is using the version 2 of our SAP code, how do I handle such scenarios?

Just to understand our business, we have several products that integrate with SAP in different ways. When we send our product on CDs, we also send our Custom BAPIs, Tables, TPZ files etc., to make our product work with SAP.

Are there any courses available by SAP that teaches all these things? (atleast the fundamentals so that I can later learn more on job).

Any feedback/Suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Ram

Edited by: SAP User on Jan 25, 2011 5:39 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Each object either created or modified in the system will be recorded in the system. You should be making changes only in Development system and record in a transport and migrate to other systems (QA, PROD etc). And also your development system client settings are set to record all the changes.

Where you find the versions of the objects, for example for a program via transaction Code SE38 open the program in display mode, whiie you are at the program from the main menu:

Utilities --> Versions --> Version Management.

Displays all the version of the program if it is changed either with SAP note or Support package etc..

Any ABAP Development course would give more details around version management, how it manages internally in SAP.

Hope this addresses your question.

-Kalyan